Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Plumbing, plastering then electrical?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by eastsider, 10th Oct, 2015.

1. eastsider

eastsider Member

Hi All

Just ripping up the kitchen and bathroom and realised I need to move the plumbing the match the sink, basins and bathtub waste. Also need to move incoming pipes for water to basin, sink and bath. Looking at the job, makes sense to the plumbing 1st. Does it make sense to do plastering after that and then electrical? I was thinking electrical might me a good idea to do first but then you can put the plasterboard over the powerpoints without cutting holes in your plaster. So that's why now I am thinking plasterboard and then electrical. And then once the electricals are done, waterproof bathroom, tiles, vanity and then connect up sink and basin.

So to summarise, does the order below make sense?

kitchen

1. Plumbing
    2. Plastering
    3. Electrical for powerpoints/ switches/ cables for oven /cooktop
    4. Cabinetry
    5. Benchtop
    6. Tiling for splash back
    7. Install appliances and final electrical connection ( cables already run in section 3)
    8. Paint walls

Bathroom
    1. Plumbing
    2. Plastering
    3. Waterproofing
    4. Electrical powerpoints / switches
    5. Tiling
    6. Vanity
    7. Install shower screen, bathtub, basin, vanity
    8. Paint

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Plumbing and electrical needs to be run before plastering. They run the wires up the wall to where the power points go, then you place the gyprock on the wall and mark where the wire is. Either the plasterer can cut the hole and fish out the wire for the power point or the electrician can. Then power points or light switches etc... are hooked up.

3. eastsider

eastsider Member

ok thanks. So I would need the electrician to come back to install powerpoints. Was trying to avoid having the electricians come back for a second trip. Or I could probably get both trades in on the same day....

4. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

plumbers and electricians have to do rough in stage (put pipes / wires in walls)

and then come back for fit off stage (install fixtures and lights etc)

2 trips needed

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's what happened for our kitchen reno. Plumbing and sparky will advise you about timing. Fixed price anyway.

6. eastsider

eastsider Member

Thanks for the replies.

So you get the 1st stage rough in completed which is the pipes and wires in walls. The plaster and move on to the 2nd stage fit off.

When would you do the 2nd stage fit off? Would it make sense to do that after the tiling has been completed? Or do you put all your powerpoints and taps in and then tile around them?

Thinking about it, I think it would be better to put all the powerpoints, switches, taps, mixers etc in and then tiling later or else you need to break through the tiles to install these items. What are your thoughts?