Plumbing issues

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by ANZA, 16th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ANZA

    ANZA New Member

    16th Oct, 2019

    I have been following the forum for a long time but never joined in, some really helpful content.

    Hoping someone could shed some light on a concern I have regarding one of my properties. My property is one of 4 on a corner block and is built with a common wall to unit 4 (mine is unit 3).

    Recently I found myself inspecting some piping repairs under my unit that I had to get fixed and had something concerning pointed out to me by my plumber. It appears that the water and gas pipes for unit 4 are running under my unit to get to unit 4 (the floor space under the house is close to 1100mm high, Circa 1960’s build and pipes are above ground).

    Can anyone help to shed some light on what are the legalities if something was to fail under my unit? Would I be responsible for the repair? Can I have them relocate these pipes to a common driveway and out from under my unit?

    Any help would be great.. a phone number to a property law expert or other would also be great.

    Thanks for reading

  2. willair

    willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

    19th Jun, 2015
    ..Tomahawk creek Qld..
    For the age of the building that was the way the plumbing was installed back then..The worry for you would be if the supply pipe was set--up with the old gal pipe-work which over time will block up over rust on the inside..
    Sometimes it's just better to leave it as it is as the plumber maybe is looking for work ,then add into the mix a law expert?---just sounds like a lot of money wasted but that's only my opinion..imho