Plumbing Invoicing In Strata Unit

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Sady.Sydney, 1st Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sady.Sydney

Sady.Sydney Well-Known Member

I organised a lincensed plumber to change basin mix as the water wasn't turning off. Probably the handle or washers were worn off. The plumber was unable to find any way to turn off water as there was nothing inside the unit. Following conversation with the Strata, it was identified that the water can only be disconnected from a connection located inside Level 0 car parking area. The door to access this connection is locked and can only be opened upon request. This could take couple of days to get actioned.

The plumber is going to charge me for his 2nd visit and the strata is refusing to accept this cost. They are stating that I must have provided them notice and also I didn't seek their approval for change in basin mix.

Am I being reasonable here to ask for reimbursement of cost?

1) It was never disclosed that the water main supply is locked and can only be accessed by providing them notice.

2) Why basin mix change will require strata approval?

3) If there was an emergency due to any water leakage at night, the water connection can't be immediately accessed as it requires key managed by Strata.

2. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Wow why would a relatively new building not have isolators for every single unit? A couple of days to get a door unlocked? Does this building have an on-site building manager?

Unfortunately the charging of a second visit is a very hard one to get out of.

1) Have you checked the strata by-laws or any other building information that has been provided either upon purchase/settlement or by strata meetings etc?

2) Probably so that they can arrange for the door to be unlocked/opened.

3) This is a very big problem and could have huge ramifications such as flooding of other units, damage to common areas... it's simply crazy that units don't have their own isolator taps.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  3. Sady.Sydney

Sady.Sydney Well-Known Member

It's 2007 built. They have apparently on-site caretaker but apparently he only visits property twice a week so not sure why they call him onsite caretaker.

I can't find anything in Strata by-laws. Strata is saying that the water meter box has been misused lately and therefore it was locked. I didn't receive any notification.

I understand this cost is payable but shouldn't the strata be paying this amount?

This is my biggest concern, however Strata is insisting this is the process. What can be done here?

4. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

pretty sure legally the isolation for gas, water and electricity is meant to be able to be accessed by the own units / cannot be locked and if so all unit holders must have a key. i know older brick units only have 1 mains valve out on the street which is normally used.

5. Phoenix Pete

2007 and there are no isolators in individual units? Who the heck built these and how were they approved?

Surely Strata informed all owners/residents of the change of arrangements to the water meter situation... a letter, an email.. something. I find it hard to believe that Strata didn't inform anyone of this.

I'd ask Strata to prove that they did inform owners/residents of the water meter being locked up. If they provide that proof then unfortunately you will have to wear the cost of the plumber's second visit.

I'm surprised Strata can't see the potential of a disaster just waiting to happen. Truly incredible stuff.

6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

May be worthwhile when the water is shut off for the plumber to fit shut off valves at the wall for the basin and kitchen sink. They cost under $10 each. I thought they were mandatory whenever a flexipipe was used.

malcomtent, Elives and Phoenix Pete like this.
  7. Phoenix Pete

The toilet/s should be done too.. and if the laundry taps/washing machine taps could be done then they too should be done.

Great idea @Mark F !!!

8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

And maybe if the plumber is coming to do a bit of extra work (and future work) he can waive the initial call out fee?

9. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

You'll probably have to wear the 2nd callout fee from the plumber, as it's not worth pursuing, even though you are in the right.

It's surprising that each unit doesnt have an isolation tap within the unit (generally within the laundry area) and you should add an agenda item in the next AGM to have this retrofitted to every unit at the OC's cost.

If a pipe bursts in a unit, and it takes a "couple of days to get this actioned" then every unit owner, possibly including the top floor, will be at risk of flooding in their unit.

And, who do you think is going to cover the cost? The strata insurer, when they find out that no unit has an isolation tap, and start making noises about non-disclosure and exemptions? The landlords, who's tenants dont like living in a waterfall and a pond? The onsite manager, whose contract probably doesnt provide a definition of onsite?

Yeah, but no. Probably the OC will carry the can, so they should pull their finger out and get the matter dealt with, and any owners that start arcing up should be met with the phrase "Special Levy".

10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Go to the street and turn the building water toby off . :p