Plumber leaves a mess - whose responsibility?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by PeterW, 15th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PeterW

PeterW Well-Known Member

An IP apartment I own in a small block had clogged water pipes. A plumber has fixed it via water blasting (charged about $1,400..). The water had backed up causing some overflow into one of the apartments. The plumber states on his invoice this apartment was left clean and tidy. The tenant there has photos of some some overflowed toilet water and minor mess she claims was left by the plumber. She now wants to charge the owners corp to have her house cleaned.

I have stated that the strata manager, responsible for the plumber, need to get him back to finish the job he was paid for.

Can someone please clarify for me who is legally responsible here? I've approved plenty of things, but I am keen to avoid a culture of owner's corp being free money for some people, and just play things down the line in terms of legal responsibility.

2. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

If you are talking about a blocked toilet plumber would clear the blockage and sewerage clean up is extra on top of this. talk to your property manager what was asked of him.

PeterW likes this.
  3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

@PeterW just to clarify, the blockage was on common property, and the mess caused within the Lot was resultant of the blockage and/or rectification works? If that is the case, the Lessor/Agent/Tenant should simply engage a cleaner to clean, pass the bill back up the line to the plumber first - IMO it is not reasonable to make the occupant wait days (probably) for the plumber to be able to return to clean the mess so they are within their right to get it cleaned as their amenity has been reduced and peaceful enjoyment has been infringed on - and if the plumber won't pay it then the Body Corp and if the Body Corp won't pay it then the Landlords Insurer and if the LL insurer won't pay it then the Lot Owner, because in no way is it the Tenants fault.

wylie, PeterW and significance like this.
  4. PeterW

PeterW Well-Known Member

Thanks Elives. Michael, yes, I understand blockage to common pipe, some overflow to one unit (which plumber denies). Whenever I've had a plumber do major unblocking with a jetblaster, I just expect there will be some residue mess somewhere and I clean it up.