Plumber jobs possibly done badly

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 19th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

In the last few days I had a plumber attend to do a few jobs. The first was to install a vanity unit. This was to be flush with a tough, perhaps with a bead of silicone between them. Instead the vanity is 10-15 mm away, at a slight angle due to the wall or trough not being square. I did not see this until the job was finished. Given the lack of squareness I would have liked to have the vanity standing out from the wall a little bit; it will be hidden or covered in tiles.

There are three holes on the body of the vanity - hot, cold and waste. The plumber made a mistake with the hot and cold holes, and they are not covered with the covers, may be called roses. There are two holes in the wrong place fastening the vanity to the wall, out of frame in the picture.

The toilet is a left skew and was installed on the floor so that the waste goes up to the wall outlet. When using a full flush there's still waste in the pan after flushing. The toilet complies with the standard so it may be that pushing the waste uphill is too much.

I had a water meter installed, and the plumber did this well - upside down. I saw this and he made it the right way up.

The plumber had to make several trips to get materials. I think that these have been excluded from the time worked, but am unsure. Should I pay for these trips?

Comments about the above would be valued. TIA.
    Skew up detail.jpg Vanity holes detail.jpg Vanity gap detail.jpg Skew up detail.jpg Vanity holes detail.jpg Vanity gap detail.jpg

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Maybe the trough isn’t square?

That rubber fitting looks like it’s been used to step from a small to large waste? Can you show photos from a bit further away?

If waste isn’t flushing, you need to get the plumber back. He may need to change the height of the waste pipe.

Last edited: 19th Mar, 2019
  3. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had not thought of a non-square trough. Regardless, the job was not done as described. I think that the plumber may have been struggling with the job; witness the vanity holes in the wrong place. Is there any rule about gaps between a trough and a vanity?

The waste pipe picture was cropped from one I took from about a metre away. It looks to me as if the skew and wall diameters are about the same.
    Skew up S.jpg