Pleeease help. No council plans, want to buy.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Snakey1989, 8th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Snakey1989

Snakey1989 New Member

Hi all.
    I am new here and in a bit of desperation as I seem to get a million different answers from a million different people.
    My partner and I have our hearts set on a rural property (50 acres, not 5000) near Tarago, N.S.W. (Queanbeyan/Palerang shire)
    We've been through everything and ready to exchange however the council CANNOT find any plans for the property.
    We've heard that there may be some "green books" that will have enough information to keep our arses covered for insurance and stuff.
    But what implications does this leave us with?
    Will insurers cover buildings as there is no legal way to prove that they were always there?
    Do I need to be getting building ceryiicates and land surveys done before buying?

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your help.
    Have gotten desperate now.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I can't see that this is a problem.

It is quite common not to have plans registered with Council. My suburban house has none.

Is there a description of the property on the sale documents, which mentions the number of sheds etc?

Most councils take aerial photos of every suburban property 4 times a year.

if they do that for rural areas then you have a record. Ask them. Also check Google Earth. (Edit: I just had a look at some rural properties near Queanbeyan, and in was easy to see sheds etc after zooming in.)

You can also just take your own date stamped photos.

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2017
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our house is around 38 years old. We tried to get plans from the council but they didnt keep the older plans. Reckon they don't have any prior to 1990s. (Brisbane city council).

You can insure the property as is. If in doubt, take plenty of photos.
    Marg

4. Snakey1989

Snakey1989 New Member

Thankyou for your replies
    I didn't think this was an issue, howeverir conveyancer told us that we would HAVE to get building certificates, land surveys, blah blah blah to keep everything up to scratch and happy. Especially insurance wise.
    Will give some prospective insurers a ring on Monday and see what they say.

Thanks again.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Has your conveyencer has provided written instructions about what you are required to produce?