Health & Family Plant based diet

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Momentum, 12th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I recently saw a doco called The Game Changers on Netflix.

The Game Changers | Netflix

Here is a trailer for it:

It got me thinking and now I'm trying to avoid eating meat, especially processed and red meat. Now I mostly eat plant based sausages, hash browns, brocollini, sweet potato and snowpeas for most of my meals. Is anyone else eating plant based or vegan food? Can you recommend any good websites or recipes?

Baker and Never giveup like this.
  2. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

I've managed to avoid watching it so far, but it certainly has attracted a following!

I've been trying to do the climatarian/flexitarian/whateveryouwanttocallitatarian for a couple of years. I've gone from eating red meat 3-5 times/week to now eating it once every couple of
    months. Eat fish more often, but try to make sure it's wild caught. Pretty much all veg otherwise, but could never go vegan as I like cheese too much! Did it as we're concerned about climate change rather than animal cruelty issues.

Plenty of Indian recipes are either already vegan or can very easily be made so. Same for a lot of mexican recipes if you use vegan protein products.

Enjoy your new lifestyle!

Baker, Never giveup and Momentum like this.
  3. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Yep, been on a plant based diet for 12 months now, also avoid/cut down on a lot of wheat products too. I was very skeptical about it at first, but honestly feeling better.

It's a diet so if we go to someone's house or family's, we eat what's on offer.

Check out Easyvegan and Nomeatathlete, then just google. remember whole foods is the aim of the game!

Baker, Never giveup and Momentum like this.
  4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Yep, I went from a meat & dairy eating machine to a total Vegan almost 3 years ago at aged 41 and have never looked back. My weight stabilized, I could train harder and recover quicker, energy levels rose and stabilized, mood stabilized, head cleared, the list goes on. I have NEVER once looked back and do not miss any of the things I used to eat (particularity cheese which even the smell of now turns my stomach yet was the hardest of everything to quit).

Over the first couple of month your taste buds change and you start to pick out all the delicate flavors in everything that were masked by meat and cheese prior.

People have a miss conception (i was one of them) then plant based/vegan is restrictive whereas I found the complete opposite, I eat more variety of tastier things than I ever did as a meat eater.

I quit cold turkey (no pun intended), after a couple of years of wrangling with my own conscience. Many factors lead to it, learning about the environmental impacts, properly researching just how bad the animal agriculture industry is (so much is hidden from us, it is heart breaking when you go =down that rabbit hole), then reading biography after biography of ultra endurance athletes the regular theme in most of them was them being, or going vegan and seeing amazing benefits. The last thing that was left for me not to do it was the enjoyable taste of meat. I decided one day that taste alone was no longer enough to counter all the other things, so stopped. Best decision ever.

By the way, I was hyper tension territory with blood pressure and cholesterol over 5 (I got a blood panel done the week I started), I get one done every year since and by blood pressure normalized very quickly and my cholesterol is now around 3.

I'll also say I was fit and healthy and ate a varied balanced diet before I started too, so it's not like I went from unhealthy and bad diet to plant based and healthy if you know what I mean?

It is hard at the start, working out meals plans etc when you've spent years cooking a certain way but after 4-6 weeks when you have a bunch of new recipes in rotation it starts to get way easier. These days it's really not a problem at all.

Start with the two books from Bosch, simple, quick and very good meals in those.

If you have Netflix, see if these are still in it, all eye openers:-

Cowspiricy
    Forks Over Knives
    What The Health
    Food Inc.

Dominion is getting a lot of press, Aussie based vegan doco about the Australian animal farming, I know the premise but I simply can't watch it. I know what goes on, I font need to see any more of it, breaks your heart.

I'd encourage anyone to watch them, Food Inc. is a rude awakening, (not a vegan doco, just highlights how damaging modern farming is and how the corporations involved behave, lot about Monsanto on there, frighting).

Check out Pen Gillette and Kevin Smith, both are people (like me) that came to it for the health benefits then stayed for the ethics, see if you can find the Rich Roll podcast interview for each of them, really interesting.

Anyway, good luck with it, like I say, 3.5 years in and I can honestly say I can't see me every going back to eating aninal based products.

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2020
  5. Propagate

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Propagate

.....oops. I'll go back and edit that ;-)

8. Propertunity

But I'm having fun with it while I eat some crispy bacon.....
    [​IMG]

Redwing likes this.
  9. Propertunity

Actually I'm just joshing ya. I'll be going vego for 2 weeks when traveling in India this year. Last time I lost a few kilos too. I thought I was pretty good not getting sick for the whole trip last time but the last day, I ate some suspicious tasting sandwich and .....lost a few more kilos .

Never giveup, Momentum and Propagate like this.
  10. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Veggies is good for you just make sure you eat the actual fresh veggies

Plant based processing food is just as bad or worse for your health, but this is a new Fab and trend just look at the chemical they put in there to come up with the colour and the taste

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have never - and will never - understand the need to eat a plant-based-meat-looking product.

There are so many delicious vegetarian recipes out there, why would anyone feel the need to eat an extremely highly processed fake meat.

I find the complete vegetarian thing a bit tricky as I can't eat tomato, chilli, potatoes, eggplant etc (anything in the nightshade family) yet so many recipes use these ingredients for sauces or flavour - so a sliver of high quality steak with mustard and port jus makes a plate full of veges so much more appetising.

That said - I usually do things like make a roast chook last the family 3 days (roast, salad, soup) - so we have cut down on our meat significantly

12. Propagate

@Lizzie we have the occasional plant-based fake schnitzel or some "fake" ham for a sandwich, not very often and it's usually when we're time crunched. We both work long hours so if we haven't bulk cooked a tone of chillie, curry etc or have the time to prep a bowl of different roast veggies then convenience wins and it's a grilled veggie schnitzel with boiled potatoes and a steamed veg side or something like that.

Much in the same way we'd have the occasional regular burger or sausages with potatoes when we ate meat, sometimes convenience wins out.

Tomatoes and potatoes are a staple in our place though, and eggplants - not sure what our meals would look like if we had to restrict those.

Momentum likes this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

From memory I recall Johnny Walker Scotch being part of your plant based diet:D.

Never giveup, Momentum and Codie like this.
  14. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I just eat normal diet like my parents and and their parents before them who lives into their
    90s-100s without any need for vitamins supplements or new fashion on food

Real fruit and Vegs
    fish and bit of meat fat and all
    Regular exercise

we don't cut back on anything we just have a bit of everything, if it real food and it taste good we eat :D, we don't eat much processed food, a bacon and a sausage here and there is ok

last blood test no issue, no high blood pressure or cholesterol, no diabetes
    Dr said keep doing what you are doing

Momentum, Lizzie and Propagate like this.
  15. Propagate

@PandS indeed, but you're probably in the minority in this day and age of processed ready meals, burgers & chips, fried fish & chips, packaged convenienced everything etc etc.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I had a cafe-made vegetarian "burger", not long ago, and it was amazingly delicious ... but it wasn't plants trying to be meat, it was a simple chickpea, sweet potato, zucchini etc crumbed patty, with lots of yummy spices. I really should've asked for the recipe.

It's not vege schnitzels and sausages that I struggle to understand ... it's those highly processed, preservative and salt packed products that are made from plant but are trying to look/taste like meat that I don't get

Momentum and Propagate like this.
  17. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Oh real veggies burger is real good, amazing stuff
    Local hop here make them burger full of mushroom, capsicums, eggs-plant, roast garlic etc.. yum!
    Writing about it make me want to go and get one now :)

Momentum, Lizzie and Propagate like this.
  18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Prepare for the end of the world as we know it:eek::

677DFB0E-81FA-431A-ABDD-C43C48196222.jpeg

PandS and Momentum like this.
  20. Propertunity

Arthritis @Lizzie ?