Plant Agave at front yard ?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by deezee, 30th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Hi members,

I’d like to plant several big agaves at my front yard. Will they look good ? Any better plant specie recommended ? Kindly enlighten me.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Your second photo seems to be an aggregate pad. Would you be planting them in pots?

We have agaves in our yard and always use them when we landscape IPs. They are easy to grow, don't need much care at all, and if they get too big, you just cut a few out and let the "pups" grow up.

Also, they give an instant feeling of having an established garden, even if we planted them yesterday.

3. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

It is raised gravel ground. I’d like to plant the big agaves on this gravel. First time DIY

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How do you plan to plant them “on the gravel”?

Is there soil under that layer of gravel?

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Going into tequila production? :D

The Y-man

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There is just one species of agave used to make tequila - and I was surprised to see that there are tutorials on how to make tequila from scratch. Not that I'd think it were worth the trouble.
    How to Make tequila from agave nectar « Tequila :: WonderHowTo

7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I think it will be best to keep them in large plastic pots. There is some nice variegated varieties if you want to break it up a bit. You can sometimes get them for free.

8. tomerayz

tomerayz Well-Known Member

Is there soil just below the gravel? Or are you planting to keep them potted and just hide the pots inside the gravel?

9. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

There is no soil below the gravel. Yes I'd keep them potted and just hide the pots inside the gravel.

10. tomerayz

tomerayz Well-Known Member

That should work. They won't grow much as the pot size will restrict to how much they can grow. They are pretty resilient though so the gravel cover should be okay.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

They can be a dull and unhealthy looking plant Dried tips etc. Grows large in hot areas. Not much in Vic etc That yard looks very sparse. Its not "landscape" to use pebble/rocks and a few sparse succulents. Shame you seem to have spent on nice looking a retaining wall. Its a style that seems to originate in desert areas like vegas. It looks sparse there as grass easily dies in exteme heat and they cant use water but looks unconventional in suburban australia as a streetscape. Very mexican / south american. It can make it look like its a "no effort" rather than "low maintenance" choice. Weeds will still grow. If that area was quality turf it would be a uniform area and likely be weed free if its kept mown.

Could detract from sale too since many buyers will consider how to excavate it and replace with turf