Planning my first renovation project.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by QbiK Evolution, 5th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

Hi everyone im currently looking to renovate one of my IP's here in Perth and just wanted to run through my ideas and see if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations.

Ill start with the exterior first here are some existing pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To clean up the front elevations my plan is to remove the ugly awnings over the windows and the metal patio at the front. This should allow much more light into the house as it currently looks like a dungeon inside. After this my thought is to extend the front porch and convert to a deck as currently there is no outside area.
    Next is a garden tidy up with all natives.
    Last is obviously a repaint i have a few ideas but im still tossing up weather just to repaint or to try and change the premise into a federation looking house im sure this would increase value im just not 100% sure if its worth the effort. I have attached a couple of renders ive done of possible exterior schemes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to the inside.
    This is the current kitchen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My original cheap thought is to repaint the cabinets but i don't feel it will improve the look much due to the old school looking sink and range hood. My next thought is to find a kitchen removal from gumtree and put that in instead. I would be removing the exiting range hood wall and modernising the entire bit. The vinyl will come up and floor boards will be polished to match the rest of the house.

I have a question about the current timber joining strip around the walls. My thought was to remove this and replace with something more fancy to try and keep the federation theme going. This would be carried into the living dining room also.

Lastly is the bathroom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remove the hideous shower screen and vanity replace these with modern units. Next is paint all vertical wall tiles and the bath with tub and tile paint. I was thinking about tiling straight over the floor tiles as i know there will be asbestos in the floors and walls here.

Im sure i will have more questions and posts as i continue on but for the moment i think this is plenty to digest. Feel free to give any advice you have good or bad, im still months away from starting this but i love to have things planned out and ready to go the minute the lease expires.

Thanks everyone

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

In terms of exterior, I'd go for the second one any day of the week.

I'd paint the cabinets if they're in good nick, and leave the sink but replace the tapware. Of course it depends what your budget looks like?

I recently used Rustoleum tile kit from bunnings to redo the tiles in our roman bath - it's $100/kit but it's awesome stuff.

3. Laurieload

Laurieload Member

Nice project!

I like the last outside paint version you posted but think perhaps one solid light stone colour may look better on your actual house. We have the same issue with a rental property with asbestos cladding - painting was cheap and easy, but still looks like a painted fibro cottage, but cladding and disposal was going to cost around 20K. We ended up painting for now as cladding was not going to significantly add to the rent in our particular case.

Like the front deck idea, perhaps leave as stained timber to draw the eye to the front entrance and away from the exterior cladding?

Not sure about removing the middle joining strip. We did this in one property besides making a lot of mess it highlighted the cornices and architraves so we ended up having to change them also. May be better to paint the walls a neutral colour, install some decent window coverings and spend extra on a basic new kitchen from bunnings or masters instead with shiny stainless steel fittings to draw the eye if you can afford it.

Anyway sounds like you have a great reno coming up, best of luck with it all!

4. QbiK Evolution

Budget isnt an issue i have more than enough cash to splash im jst trying to find that balance of making the most back per my dollar spent. Hence why im a little unsure on the level of funds and work i should put into the exterior or kitchen.

5. QbiK Evolution

Thanks Laurieload thats exactly the sort of info i need about the cornice and architrave looking out of place afterwards. I know if i go with a more contemporary theme it will be cheaper. You are probably right about spending the money on the kitchen as i hear this and the bathroom seem to be the biggest value adders if they are done right.

6. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

The level of reno depends on a few things-
    what is the purpose of the property long term?
    If you do a quick patch up now (as in paint kitchen cupboards, paint bathroom tiles etc) you will probably need to do another reno in 5 years or less). I did this with one unit and just sold it 4 years later. It was looking a bit tired. I would have had to reno it soon if I didn't sell it.
    Other properties I have done a full reno and haven't touched them in 5 years. They still look great.
    Can you lose the bulkhead above the stove? If so I'd rip it all out and start again. New kitchens are a lot cheaper than people think and they have dramatic impact. Bathrooms can be more expensive but worth the money I think. No one likes a crappy bathroom. If you keep the same layout and do the demo work yourself it's not too bad.
    I like the second exterior. The new colour will make a world of difference.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I'm starting with the painting today and a new kitchen to be made. I plan to hold it long term and I believe the new kitchen will add value. I'm not touching the bathroom as it looks fine to me. Not my choice of tiles but there's nothing to fix. I think your kitchen needs a look at. I would personally have more storage in the kitchen if you intend to rent out to a family.

8. QbiK Evolution

At this point I have no plan on selling it and am a firm believer in buy and hold but who knows what the future holds. I'm considering demolishing it if and when the rezoning changes but I can't see that being in the near future either. I would think the house has a lifespan of between 5 to 10 years depending what happens.