Plan to move migrants to regional areas to ease Sydney's booming house prices

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by pjames, 22nd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

from https://www.propertychat.com.au/com...t-qld-to-lead-growth.18389/reply?quote=372264

Well what do you know, maybe one of the politicians read my post and it's something I have been saying for years, send new 3rd world immigrants to anywhere except Sydney and Melbourne.

NEWS: Pushed out of the city: Plan to move migrants to regional areas to ease Sydney's booming house prices

Might be worth noting for investors to look at fringe cities and towns :) The only issue I have is that Central Coast is going to probably grow a lot anyway with or without migrant redirecting. Newcastle would be better than the Coast I would think as lots of potential for expansion. Goulburn might be OK and I would have preferred to see them send them to even more rural areas like up near Darwin, NT or WA, SA etc. Let them see through 5 years on a hard outback farm, should sort out the ones with fake resumes ;). Once they get through that, welcome to Australia.

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Why tar everybody with the same brush?

I believe you underestimate the contribution many would make to this country.

astinus4, Joynz, Eric Wu and 6 others like this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I agree with this....ALL migrants should be rated on preference system...away from Sydney and Melbourne. This is already being done...but the govt also needs a policy for all new arrivals to help them settle and set deep roots so they do not move.

Another policy would be to get local dole bludgers to move to the country...assisted with living and put to work. You will find local born Australians more like be represented in the dole stats.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  4. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

As a migrant this makes sense to me.

pjames likes this.
  5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

It won't work. There are already certain visa classes where people are required to live in a designated regional area initially. Many just move away to their location of choice when this time has passed. I don't think the government can/would introduce a requirement that people have to live in a particular location long-term

6. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Who knows, incentive programs for new arrivals to settle in non Sydney and Melbourne metro areas might actually work...

... Or, it might not. Lets be honest here. Migrants dont bust their balls and jump through all the hoops to get to Australia legally, to NOT settle in the big bucks. Oh no no, theae folks have triple dollar signs spinning in their eyeballs, they want the $200k jobs and they know where they are and how to get them. They dont make it all the way here to go to $80K jobs (or with $80K job ambitions) in the Adelaide / Hobart / GC / Newcastle et al locations. It would be even more farsical to think they'd go for the next tier down of 60K jobs in your Orange / Hobart / Bendigo etc. areas.

Agree that local-born citizens compose the bulk of dole/welfare folk. Perhaps they could separate the ones genuinely wanting to improve their lot in life and, well, work; and incentivise those ones to move to regional areas with job placement programs

Anthony Brew likes this.
  7. jimmy

jimmy Well-Known Member

So just make the country towns ghettos with an infil of dole bludgers? If they aint working in sydney with low unemployment then they sure wouldnt work in the country where unemployment is a lot higher in most places!

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    You need high speed transport links , water and and special economic zones to grow the regions ... simple as that

This is why high speed rail and the Bradfield plan are the 2 nation building projects that both sides of Govt should be concentrating on as THE priorities for the next 10 + years.
    Then incentivise companies to relocate with tax incentives.

pjames and jimmy like this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

depends....aren't some of the agriculture jobs going begging?

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Something I saw was that overseas doctors had been recruited for regional hospitals. They doctors and their families get the benefit of being in Australia, and regional hospitals benefit by getting doctors. Win-win.

Similar to giving scholarships to good final year teachers to teach in regional schools. They make a commitment, the regions benefit. The teachers then after 3 years or so are free to teach elsewhere but if they like where they are, they'll stay. Win-win too. But if the newly graduated teacher decides to teach elsewhere, they forgo their scholarship payment. I think that's fair.

pjames likes this.
  11. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. High quality high speed public transport all around Australia would enable a huge population to live in harmony instead of everyone crammed like sardines and segregated like we see in Sydney. it is quite extraordinary when you know how big Australia is and a huge chunk of the population live in the smallest area in tiny homes. If transport was super fast and modern then many people would not care to live anywhere. Various Australian regions could be opened up for living and small cities could start to grow rapidly. The potential is huge. I'm all for immigration if it's strongly vetted and having places to spread the population and form mini economies throughout Australia, This would be a good thing for the country but as it is now it does not work.

Last edited: 22nd Mar, 2017
    euro73 likes this.
  12. jimmy

jimmy Well-Known Member

Yes short term jobs in agriculture go begging but thats usually seasonal, then what would they do in the off season? My guess would be what they were doing in sydney... not much

13. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

But they must already have some sort of scheme like that in place now I reckon.

I employ several migrants in regional Queensland. Four from various parts of Asia and one from the UK. I enquired why one lady (with endless talent) ended up in our city and I was told it fast-tracked the visas for her and her kids. Think she had to stay ‘out bush’ for a set period (2 years?) before relocating to the capitals. Well she’s stayed a couple more years after that now and I’m just delighted about it. Turns out it’s quite affordable to live here and the people are quite friendly.

PS. I guess it would not be fair to comment on which group are model employees / citizens and which one spends half the day quoting union rules at me and the other half gaming the pension rules Lol.

pjames and Gockie like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Shhh! Don't tell the immigrants, they'll cause a stampede and push up regional prices. ;)

Foxy Moron likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think we can work that one out quite easily:)

16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

This what China does, but with a firmer hand that communism allows.