Placement for Vanity Unit

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 18th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I considered the fake wall, but wouldn't that just look weird?

The other option I considered is actually changing the window and making it smaller (similar to the fake wall idea, but actually having a real wall). Any idea what that would cost me?

Looking at the other ideas put forward, those look good, but I did notice they have very good symmetry.... and symmetry is beautiful.

I think I will go with a single basin. I am starting to like the look of a vanity with an offset basin (even though it goes against symmetry :p)

WattleIdo and Christina46 like this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Fill it in then tile over. It will look like there is just one window no dodgey patch ups :)

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I've seen one instance where half of the window was just plasterboarded over and then tiled on top of that. Looks horrible o_O

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Closing up half the window will likely make the half that is left look a bit mean and lonely. I'd try to find a creative way around it. Make a feature of the high part of the wall and do something "wow" with the lower side. And if you have one basin, you are not having to match the "symmetry" of duel basins above the bench in the mirror/wall treatment.

Play up the asymmetry. Something like this...

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 10.17.52 am.png

5. bob shovel

There's 2 seperate windows to make a nice clean finish. Floor to ceiling tiles and totally hidden from the world. Top quality everyday :)
    2018-07-20 14.06.45.jpg

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That top looks wrong for the width and the exposed pipe looks old school...I would go with a different style unit and ditch that unframed mirror - Looks lost on the wall. And there is NO storage...Agree the window does no justice.

And I would rethink that GPO where the dryer will land in the bath and kill someone who tries to catch it. Storage for towels between basin and bath ?? eg Shorter shelving with a indoor plant and to store towels : RÅGRUND Corner shelf unit - IKEA or even a screen / screened hebel / glass wall

The showerscreen dates everything.

eg : GODMORGON/TOLKEN / HÖRVIK Wash-stand with 45x32 wash-basin - anthracite, high-gloss grey - IKEA
    STORJORM Mirror cab 2 door/built-in lighting - IKEA

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The whole thing is getting gutted. However the current layout is the most optimum (without removing walls)

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

My wife now is considering removing the existing window and making it smaller so we can fit a full size mirror properly.

I think this does make the most sense long term, just adds on an extra delay.

Does anyone know which trades i call to do this work?
    House is a double brick and the outside walls are red brick.

9. bob shovel

We'll sort it out
    Do you want the old window gone? Colour and style ok??

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I reckon we run with your idea, leave only one window there.

11. Verizion

Verizion New Member

If you had a small window like ours, you could do something as we did 2 years ago in our new house:
    *my wife did this pic after all works*

[​IMG]

*I like this modern style, glad that stopped my wife who wanted "old-fashioned" VINNOVA bath vanity*

[​IMG]

If we had our windows in the center of the wall, I would do something like this:

[​IMG]

WattleIdo and KateSydney like this.
  12. Verizion

Verizion New Member

Thanks for likes :) It took about 4 months to do our bathroom (choose the materials and furniture, other works)