Pimping my sunroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Whitecat, 7th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

This sun room / entrance room is the old verandah on my workers Cottage which many years ago was built-in and turned into a sunroom.
    I would like to replace the light in there with something with a bit more bling and class however I'm struggling for ideas as most are pendants. Ideally I would love to have a pendant in there but that's not going to work as the ceiling in that room is only 2.6m High and as you can see it's raked on the sides formerly being a verandah with a tin roof. So I need a light that probably doesn't sit much lower than that one but I really want something quite beautiful as it's the first thing as you come into the house. I even thought about going modern with downlights?

For additional information other things I am doing to the room is sourcing Roman blinds for those windows. Putting VJ sheeting on the piece of Masonite wall above the window to match the other walls. Putting in proper skirting and replacing the front door with a glass pane pattern that matches the lines on the other windows. Thankyou for your help.

Please refer to this link for more photos in struggling a bit doing this on mobile.
    Light in front room
    20170507_155852.jpg 20170507_155852.jpg

20170507_160007.jpg 20170507_160007.jpg

Last edited: 7th May, 2017
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Personally I would leave the light as it is. It has exactly the type of character that makes workers cottages so sought after. I think modern downlights would look quite odd.

Agree with the the vj sheeting to match, also maybe a more appropriate front door. The one you have was more commonly used as a back door.
    Marg

Whitecat likes this.
  3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Que pasa ese?;)
    I think the main problem with the ceiling is the starkness of the gyprock. The cheaper option would be putting timber cover strips in a wide gride pattern, or more expensive replacing with mdf vj.

It may be worth putting a small hole in the ceiling to check if the ceiling framing is structural? If not, then you could rake the ceiling at the higher level with vj and hang a pendant down?

Whitecat likes this.
  4. vbplease

Coincidentally we hung mdf vj in the ceiling of our sunroom last weekend.. extremely hard to do by hand without a panel lifter. My muscles are hurting a week later :eek:
    We don't have ceiling lights.. but putting sconce lights on the walls. Can send you a pic if you like?

Whitecat likes this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wow, what a beautiful space. Nicest sleep-out I've ever seen.
    I would leave light as is but if you don't want it, can I have it please?
    I assume this is the back of the house. If you change the door, I'll take that too!
    Edit: oh just reread, I see it's the front.

Last edited: 7th May, 2017
    Whitecat and vbplease like this.
  6. Whitecat

What are timber cover strips homes?

7. vbplease

This one has a more interesting pattern to it.. but generally they're just a grid pattern.
    [​IMG]

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Whitecat

Yes please

9. Whitecat

Nice. I was thinking about pressed metal but expensive and i wasn't totally sold on it. This adds a bit of detail. I was also thinking about a ceiling rose

10. Whitecat

Front. This is the built in front verandah.
    The front door is at top of stairs 20170422_165738.jpg

WattleIdo and vbplease like this.
  11. Whitecat

Mockup of door.jpg This is a nighttime mock up of what the new front door will look like
    the horizontal lines will match the other windows
    It doesn't matter that it will have a lot of glass as it's up off the road anyway so privacy is not a problem

12. Whitecat

I like the light I actually got it second hand to replace a cheap modern light that was in there but I still think I can take it to another level with something just a little bit more ornate.
    If you are looking for one of these globes someone was selling one on Gumtree for $50 I'm happy to give you this one free if you need it if I come up with a replacement solution.

13. vbplease

Whitecat likes this.
  14. Whitecat

Do you have a before and after of the ceiling before it was sheeted in Vj.
    You have really got me thinking now about whether or not to do a pattern in cover strips or whether or not to go with vJ sheet on the ceiling. It could be a lot of VJ lines if I do the ceiling as well. However I have seen that in this age of house. In fact I know that underneath my plasterboard ceilings with cornice in other rooms would be a VJ ceiling

15. vbplease

A ceiling rose, perhaps bordered with a cover strip design would give a lot of bling, and pretty sure this would be more economical than pressed metal.

Did you confirm that the ceiling framing was structural? is raking the ceilings all the way up an option?

16. vbplease

The ceiling rose may be a little too bling though? This would be very uncommon for a sunroom?

Whitecat likes this.
  17. vbplease

This is the before photo from our decadent sunroom.. I don't have a after photo handy at the moment. You can see the cover strips up there.
    [​IMG]
    I know what you mean about so many lines up there with the vj.. it can be a bit busy.

Whitecat likes this.
  18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Was going to suggest pressed metal.

Whitecat likes this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

No worries, just being a bit facetious .:p...:rolleyes:

Whitecat likes this.
  20. Whitecat

I think key to cover strips is designing a pattern so that they look like a feature. Not strips covering something. I'm looking forward to seeing the after. I like your french doors

vbplease likes this.