Pier issue

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by jins13, 20th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just wanted some advice in regards to a pier issue I have on who I would need to contact and possible costs involved to fix this issue. Below is my bad attempt of a screenshot.

upload_2015-6-20_8-24-59.png

Attached Files:

2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Attached to the inspection report was the comments below. Many thanks in advance!

10.4 Piers and Sub-floor Brickwork: Several brick piers to the sub-floor area are at odd heights and have slight leans due to settlement. This is common considering the age and the nature of the residence and the existing reactive clay soil conditions. I recommend packing between the tops of the piers and bearers with a non compressible material to improve the floor alignment. Some minor differential movement may occur following the re-packing of the piers, this can be readjusted periodically as part of normal building maintenance for homes on clay foundations. Fretting to the sub-floor brickwork noted. I recommend these areas be rendered to prevent further deterioration. Piers have been constructed using lime and cement mortar, and some erosion to the mortar has occurred. Repairs will be required to this item over time. 10.5 Ant Capping: Ant caps are present and appear to be generally complete where visible. Ant capping is inadequate. This is a common building fault and few homes have correctly installed ant capping. Ant capping does not stop termite progress, the building up of mud tubes over the ant capping makes termite

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

And the problem is ????

Lime mortar breaks down and requires repointing - fancy getting under the house and repointing the brickwork? Scrape out about 1" depth and repoint with sand and lime mortar or weak sand, cement, lime mortar.

Fretting brickwork possible causccause salt attack - check for acid sulphate soil or other causes of salt attack.

Piers aren't plumb - inspector suggested packing, the alternative is to resupport and replace the pier.

How springy is the floor?

Do you need to replace ant caps?

380 and jins13 like this.
  4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thank you Scott and yes will need to replace the ant caps. Which method would be the easiest?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Jack up the bearer, slide the old ant cap out, slide a new one in, drop the joist back. You'll need to get about 5 mm clearance to slide the old ant cap out/put the new one in. If it is a more modern house, it may not be possible as the joists will be tied down to the piers (or you may be able to take the straps off the bearers before jacking up the floor.

Where you need to pack under the bearers, use compressed fibre cement along the full length of the bearing on the brick pier.