NSW Picking up keys

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 6th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Can the tenants pick up the keys a day before they move in?

I worry that landlord insurance only covers for the period on the lease, if they pick up a day earlier, and decide to move in that day, isn't it a problem?

2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

My tenants always do this.
    hahaha
    Its annoying I always ask my agent well sure how about the start their lease 1 day early.

I always let it go in the end.

giraffez likes this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

We never let keys go before the lease starts, if they want them earlier they can start the lease earlier. I've never had anyone be really difficult about it, so I'd just say sorry but you can't unless you wish to start the lease sooner. Sorted.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Totally agree with @Lil Skater - you want early access, show me the amended lease. :rolleyes:

You want rent-free? Nah!

5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I always provide the keys the day the lease starts - the whole purpose is that it is the tenant's property from when they start paying rent. However I am happy to be there with them for another visit prior if they need to measure for furniture/show their partner etc

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I can understand the insurance argument.. you would be in a difficult spot if they moved in the day before and burnt the place to the ground, but the arguments about 'that's when they start paying rent' are ridiculous unless you are prepared to make the keys available at the exact starting point.
    Unless you are making yourself available at 12.01am to collect the keys, aren't you technically taking rent during a period they are not able to occupy the property?

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Only if they are going to drop the keys off at midnight at the end of the lease.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Lil Skater, Dan Wood and bmc like this.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't extend them any free seconds, it would need to be 11.59:59pm at the latest.

9. Scott No Mates

Business hours is the normal protocol.

10. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Fair point. Rarely an issue but understandable in some circumstances, particularly when people are moving interstate. Most tenants accept that they pick up the keys in business hours on the day the lease starts. If as an owner you are not happy about that from a moral or ethical position - which you are technically correct on - it is easy to cover yourself. For example, agreed move in date is the 20th, start the lease on the 19th, instruct the PM to hand over the keys the day before, and credit the first day rent. A little bit of good will can go a long way.

Maybe a little word of caution. If the tenant is insisting on it and that they are entitled to access from 12:01am on the day the lease starts, whilst technically correct, I would be prepared for a potentially "interesting" tenancy!

- Luke