Picking Superfunds

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by oneone, 29th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

I'm looking properly at my super for the the first time, need to thoughts !
    Quick background, the balance is about $80k, age is early 30s

1) Which super is better choice for growing wealth long term ?
    My new work's super fund, has an arrangement whereby my company pays the TPD and Income continuance insurance fees on my behalf and slight discount rate of fees. However I can only pick their managed portfolios (eg growth, high growth etc)
    My current super allows me to pick my own investment portfolio, including ETFs (Vanguard) which I prefer doing. However I pay TPD insurance of about $380/yr and will lose the admin fee rebates (old employers) I used to get.
    I like the flexibility of making own investment choices but is it worth the money I might save on insurance ? do i even need the Income continuance insurance ?

3) any superfunds to recommend in general ? Ideally I want one I can pick external ETFs and low cost. I see you can do that at Australian Industry super, but it has an annual fee of $395 before the other fees. I will look into SMSF once I have a bit more in balance.

2) This is a bit dodgy - when I contacted current super about changing employers, they said my super has reverted to 'personal super plan'. Under this I lose the admin fee rebates and can no longer pick some ETFs (incl Vanguard). However just checking my account online, these changes doesn't seem to have happened. Of course I'd love to keep the old arrangement as long as I can, but if this just continues, whats the risk of me just running with it and getting in trouble with the superfund in the long term ?

Thanks

2. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

For that balance go for low cost super like Sunsuper. I did a lot of research and feel their index options are the cheapest available. You can choose the allocation between Australian shares, international shares, property and cash.

There are plenty of other cheap options.

Not licensed to give advice.

Ross Forrester likes this.
  3. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you need and what you value.
    If you're investing and don't want to lose your assets (if you're injured/ill and can't work) then insurance is important. Both TPD and Income Protection. Whether you pay for them inside or outside of super is up to you.

If you have a family/spouse that you don't want to burden with paying for investments, then life insurance would probably be prudent.

As for picking ETFs is it really that important right now? There are a few funds that let you do it. Aus Super is one and ING is the other I think.. there might be more. There are a few threads on here that discuss these funds.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do your sums.

Usual advice is to minimise fees by sticking with one fund, but in your case it may make sense to have two funds.
    Marg

6. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone and the thread recommendations, good read

The work super will pay about $500 on my behalf, about $100 or so for TPD and $4XX for income protection. But really at this stage I don't need income protection, my IPs are neutral/cashflow positive, have a cash buffer, no dependents or other obligations, its a desk job.
    I'd rather low fees to not eat away from my balance
    I'm just going to sit it there, contribute, till it gets to a decent level for SMSF
    Sunsuper looks cheap and does the job, will look into it

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member