Photos of termite damage - just for your enjoyment :-)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by wylie, 3rd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm clearing some photos of one of our son's houses that has been fully renovated (he has copies so I don't need to keep so many).

I thought it might be of interest to some people to see what we found between the wall studs in his downstairs room and various walls within the house itself. It had been empty for about a year, but clearly the termites had been busy for longer than that.

We knew of the damage before buying. It was clear to see in the upstairs VJ walls but the amount of mud built up between the studs was a surprise.

Attached Files:

Truly Exotic, KayTea, EN710 and 4 others like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Bit of bog that'll buff right out :D

HUGH72, mickyyyy, neK and 1 other person like this.
  3. wylie

And the stains on the flooring is from the resident possums being able to run around, fight, spit and generally leave a mess whilst the quotes were being done for the renovation. It was impossible to keep them out with so many holes everywhere.

4. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Did they eat out any hardwood Wylie, or just the soft? Was there water in the affected sections.

I've had termites but they have never touched the HW.

5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks for the photos!

6. wylie

Mostly pine was eaten, but a couple of weatherboards were eaten, which I'm thinking would have been hardwood.

I don't think there was water involved, but the downstairs had been bricked in and that first photo was in that downstairs area. I'd guess the owner just didn't bother getting any damage fixed, but there were no active termites, so in the past she had clearly had them treated. She was quite reclusive.

Her partner died in the 80s and there were will some parcels sitting in the dining room addressed to her partner. She seemed quite a nice lady when we did meet her and we cleared the house for her and I think she just couldn't face it, so had left it empty for a year after she moved. I think if we hadn't approached her it would still slowly be deteriorating. It was quite sad to know she'd had those parcels addressed to her partner sitting in her dining room for nearly 30 years.

chindonly likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It is a beautiful home. Can you show us any photos of the finished project, with their permission of course?

KayTea likes this.
  8. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

People talk about the 'sleep at night factor' when it comes to investing. It's those little buggers that give me nightmares (especially seeing as how no insurer will cover for the damage they cause, or the repair bill) - they give me the heebie jeebies :eek:

9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We had termites in our front door when I was a kid, I remember the noise and the door was hollowed out pretty fast. Not as impressive as those photos though @wylie.