Photos: bad work?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by WattleIdo, 4th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Or: When will the credit squeeze arrive in Parkes NSW?

Genuinely seeking your opinion on the quality of work. At present, I'm ready to let this guy go even though it will leave me with a job half done. He's been paid fairly and treated well, don't worry about that. But in your opinion, is it as bad as I think it is?

There's so much activity in Parkes right now that it's almost impossible to get a builder no matter how long you wait. They're all over-worked, booked out and not interested in customers.

I finally managed to get a young carpenter to make a start on my bathroom in September. He worked accurately and fast but his inexperience showed up in communication, leading to a few mistakes with placement of drains - nothing that couldn't be fixed or worked around. Unfortunately, he threw in the towel. I've never had this happen before once someone starts a job! My guess is that he had a bigger, better job elsewhwere and plenty of other work to boot.
    He left the job after taking out the bath and plumbing and re-doing the floor. The floor and drains are in place.
    Another (much older) guy has picked up the job (recommended by hairdresser) and though he's thoughtful and talks things through, I'm seriously worried about the quality of work. He's also very, very slow which makes payment difficult.
    Should I stop him now?
    1. The first guy took out the big bricks carefully and had the window measured so it would fit exactly. Unfortunately, he quit before putting the window in.
    The second guy cut the bricks because he said the window was too big, but look at the gaps between the window and wall now. :eek:
    20181103_142041.jpg

I specifically asked him to patch it up 2 weeks ago and specifically paid him to do it but he didn't.

I also don't think these screws were meant to go in; maybe an adhesive and a snug fit instead?

20181103_142023.jpg

Instead of fixing the gaps, he did this: :eek:

2. Ceiling plasterboard cut too short. Wall plasterboard cut too short and dodgy cutting. Supposed to be square set.
    Would cornices make a difference?

20181103_142052.jpg
    Although we've talked about the coming week, my thoughts today are that I don't want this guy cutting and drilling anything else. Maybe I just have to stop and wait for the credit squeeze to arrive in Parkes so that I can engage a skilled tradie on more balanced terms? Or does it always look like this??? Serious question.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2018
  2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Yes these plaster pictures are a bit dodgy a cornice would hide it but u could Also easily screw another piece to fill the gap and square set then. U usually but the wall right into the ceiling

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Gyprock meets the floor its hidden by skirting
    Gyprock meets the ceiling its hidden by cornice
    Gyprock meets brickwork its hidden by beading
    Gyprock meets window its hidden by architrave

the gap in the brickwork doesn't look that big and he will fill it with expanding foam
    and dress the outside

housechopper2, WattleIdo and Optimus like this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

yes thanks true except that there was not going to be any skirting, architraves or cornices necessarily. A little scared to get him cutting anything now.
    No guarantees that the architraves will be cut and meet right etc. Cornices, no way.
    Will mention the expanding foam as he's planning to go at it with sand and cement.

Hoping to get to a point where I don't have to keep asking him to patch up but not sure if it will come.

Interested to know how much you'd charge/ hand over for the placement of the window and the plasterboard?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You've engaged a carpenter. His licence says he is not a builder, most of the works you've got him to so beyond wall/floor framing are outside of his licence, training and experience. @bob shovel could tell you what he's licensed to complete.

Don't know what the second guy is other than experienced.

Cornice will be used to cover the gap at tge ceiling/wall junctions. The reveal linings & architraves will cover the gaps. He needs working room to fit the window, install packers & fixings (expanding foam to close gaps). I'm more concerned about the flashings or lack of.

You've said you're not having skirtings - plasterboard needs a skirting at the floor, how will you continue the waterproofing up the wall?

balwoges and WattleIdo like this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

OK - where should they be?
    So I can't tile to floor? Skirting board is better than tile?
    Can you spell this one out please? Wall will be waterproofed to approx 2m, height of tile.
    If there were builders or carpenters available to take on a small job like this, I 'd definitely engage them.

Am considering just getting walls rendered (which is what I originally wanted) - then maybe I could just get plumber and renderer. ???

Last edited: 4th Nov, 2018
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The angle used for square set will cover the plasterboard gap.

Ther is no such thing as an ‘exact fit’ for a window. There should be a gap around that is usually filled with spacers.

Windows should be screwed in. Adhesive is not strong enough.

Joeymoeygreen and WattleIdo like this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Cool thanks.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Licensed to kill ;)

By the looks of the plastering he's a hack. Probably get it done with a heap of sanding but Probably best not to let him do square set!:eek: cornice maybe

Window sounds like it would have worked like you told him :rolleyes:

Do you think you'll try a third guy?

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Only If they've done the electrical too :eek:

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I have been able to source an electrician, thank goodness.

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks for the honesty.
    I would love to but not sure if there is a 3rd guy?
    Maybe I just need to call time out and have another look around. :( Getting very close to Christmas and hot hot hot. I need a bath there at the very least. I've been looking for a year already.

13. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

mikey7 and bmc like this.
  14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I get what you're alluding to here Cowpat but there real l y is a skills shortage in Parkes. Thank you for acknowledging that it's a pretty bad job though. I agree.
    So how much do you think is fair for that job (done properly)? @CowPat

Last edited: 4th Nov, 2018
  15. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Price is different from place to place

best to engage someone you communicate well with .
    Fine tune your ******** radar

can you get a finish date for one part of the job ?
    (as a test )

Guys in Sydney will travel for work

Get on the same page with your trades.
    take an interest in their work .
    when you find good guys hang onto them , pay them well , recommend them .
    front up on the job .
    help clean up .
    help work .
    if you expect extra work or change your mind , expect more money
    thank them

Good Luck Wattle

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thank you that's helpful.
    Yes, I'd say my biggest downfall is having to drive from Wagga to Parkes and mostly not being there.
    I'll see if I can get someone from Sydney and/or try arrange times when I can be there.

17. Scott No Mates

It's Parkes - try Dubbo, Orange, Bathurst, Lithgow, Blue Mountains etc. You don't need to go to Sydney to get tradies.

Archaon and WattleIdo like this.
  18. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

The problem with small country towns is once you get a bad name for being difficult to deal with, or not paying, some tradies will just refuse to deal with you especially if its only a small job.
    But good luck in finding someone to do a 3hr return trip every day.

19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You know what they say about Ass U and Me, hey? :p
    No worries, it's all good. I pay my bills and am nice to tradies.
    I think if you really knew about Australian towns, you'd know that people can soon tell the sheep from the goats based on reality, not someone else's chip on the shoulder (if there even is one).
    But I wasn't expecting to see you here. How are your renos going? Maybe you can't sleep worrying about all those properties losing value day by day? Please stick to what you know.

Last edited: 5th Nov, 2018
  20. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

We have an apartment in a small country town in southern NSW that we rent out short term and I've lived in small country towns over the years and just saying you have to be a bit mindfull in smaller towns when dealing with tradies .Its not like the bigger regional cities or capital cities where you have an unlimited supply of tradesmen.
    We have been a bit fortunate as we can get good advice from the managing agent in town and from time to time have helped us with the tradies, but saying that at certain times of year we have buckleys chance of getting small reno work done , out of towners struggle to understand that for 5 months of each year the money is in all the bigger jobs , commercial and complete builds etc.