phone/internet for 2 new dwellings

Discussion in 'Development' started by drfuzzy, 6th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. drfuzzy

drfuzzy Well-Known Member

I'm near the end of a 2 townhouse inner-city development in Melbourne.

The builder has now sent me a quote for $1800 from a third party contractor to do this -

Scope of Works: Supply and installation of underground communications infrastructure to facilitate phone / internet services to 2 new dwellings

That is about $900 a dwelling. Is this required? I was naive enough to think I could just call Telstra and ask them to install the internet....

The previous structure was an old house that I demolished and subdivided.

Is there a way I can avoid this cost?

Here is the full scope of works:

1/ Make application to Telstra Smart Community for commercial works NBN planned availability: FTTC Jan-Jun 2020

2/ Prepare preliminary as built design and submit for approval

3/ Management and coordination of commercial orders, acquisition contracts plans and approvals Construction Services:

1/ Locate existing services

2/ Dig and install 2 x P20 comms conduits

3/ Extend P20 conduits past boundary point and complete all street reticulation to connect development to existing comms network* Please note this work will be completed upon receipt of commercial project when issued from Telstra, please consult our office for further clarification

4/ Supply and install hauling string only in all P20 unit conduits - Cable will be installed to each unit upon receipt of Telstra work order.

5/ Management and coordination of commercial orders, acquisition contracts, as built plans and closures.

6/ Creation and supply of VC81 documentation for sub division approval.

7/ All works to be completed to current Telstra / NBN specifications *Please note: As of 1st October 2015 Telstra / NBN are now charging developer contributions for the installation and connection of infrastructure and cabling services outside of the property boundary. These additional costs will be charged over and above the quoted price.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You've got to the end of your build and haven't made provision for phone services?

Builder builds, he uses a 3rd party for comms - nothing new here. Is the cost reasonable (trenching, conduit, wall plates, compliance, NBN development fee etc). Do you have power near your proposed phone point (NBN wireless router will need a gpo).

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

What would the properties be worth without phone lines for internet access? Whether you're keeping and renting them or selling them you would be best to pay the costs and get this done.

4. drfuzzy

drfuzzy Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,

Provisions have been made to for CAT 6 cabling, conduit, phone lines, wall plates etc with cables to terminate at the boundary as part of the fixed price building contract. I have adequate power points next to all proposed phone points. This $1800 cost is additional.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@drfuzzy - how has the builder allowed for internal cabling but not the external conduit etc to the pit? What do they expect - wireless to the pit? Was it excluded from the builder's price?

6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

This is a standard requirement for subdivisions, that the new lots are comms/fibre ready. In vic, your council wont issue statement of compliance for the subdivision without the vc81 compliance documentation.

Normally this process is begun as early as possible as it can take some time, in some cases over 6 months. You may also be required to upgrade the infrastructure in the street, adding time/money.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its like getting to the end and - What I need to provide water, sewer, stormwater, power and telecommunications ?? Its a bit like building without glass in windows

No certificate of occupancy.

NBN charge a min $1800 fee. Then this extra work is part of the fix between NBN connection and to dwelling walls. Depends if thats even in place yet but the home site must be ready for it. $900 each seems real real cheap...Doesnt include cost to cut concrete and put new pits and haul does it. And conduit etc. Would have been cheaper before build finished and part of common driveway etc Telstra will quote when they get a works order and send a subbie (Silcar etc) that BUT you can engage anyone else as long as its to spec. Then there is the individual property wiring (builder has done this) . Then the tenant or occupier connects to provider of their choice for voice / data

Last edited: 6th Nov, 2018