QLD Petrie - University / The Mill Priority Development Area

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by wombat777, 12th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Greedo and thunderstrike888 like this.
  2. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Think you are getting carried away here. The hills district in the south with its position to the CBD and the peninsula for lifestyle reasons will be way more in demand for me.

Its not like Sippy Downs is in high demand at the coast.

Angel likes this.
  3. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I don't think you're seeing the big picture. The Sippy Downs USC campus is just a uni campus, nothing more. Not only this, but it is far too remote for many students. It was never master planned as part of a larger PDA project, with foresight for other long term projects to unfold in conjunction with the university and local infrastructure.

The Petrie PDA is not just a planned University campus. It sits right next to the Petrie train line break off juncture to the Peninsula train line, with various and diverse long term economical planning and benefits accounted for.

See: https://www.statedevelopment.qld.go...024/48192/the-mill-pda-development-scheme.pdf

4. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

That rail works both ways though, I think it will be a means for people to get to the campus rather than a means for locals to get to their city jobs. I don't see the high paying Uni workers ever moving out of the inner suburbs to move to Petrie.

Congrats if you've got in early and made some gains though, I just put it at zero chance of ever becoming more in demand than the southern end of Moreton Bay.

Angel likes this.
  5. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

This will no doubt be interesting for both of us. The Redcliffe Penninsula has some outstanding CG potential for various reasons, but it doesn't have the benefit of serious money and infrastructure being spent by both local government and private enterprise over a focused 5-10 year plan. Local properties will continually benefit from developments, and costs, not incurred by their respective owners.

Either way, both the Redcliffe Peninsula and the Petrie PDA blast radius represent very solid opportunities for investors.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Anyone with insights on whether a sale has been achieved for 50-52 Connors Street?

It's no longer on the market.

clubman likes this.
  7. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Western Lawnton freestanding house, anybody, thoughts? I’m looking at acquiring a 3rd freestanding property close to the PDA. 320k through an agent. 620m block. Always keen to respectfully hear others thoughts. I’ll need to spend 15-20k on the kitchen
    Reno’s. Thoughts?

8. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Lawnton has lots of housing commission in some pockets so need to look out for those. If the council is selling those off then not really an issue in the longer term.. It is though definitely not as desirable for OO as Strathpine, Bray Park and Petrie but if it is in a non HC pocket and the due dilligence stacks up it is a very good buy ATM even if it needs $20k worth of reno's.

George Smiley likes this.
  9. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

10. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2021
    thunderstrike888 likes this.
  11. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

What do you think of the housing estate areas of SW Petrie (South of Dayboro Road?). I posted in another thread how I am not a fan of housing estate areas however putting my digital boots on for a Google Maps stroll these streets look excellent- lots of elevation, wide streets and nice looking properties.

JAW and Angel like this.
  12. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

It's a really nice area. It's not walking distance the upcoming infastracture, but if you can find a decent place with walking distance to the massive park, I'd give it consideration.

George Smiley likes this.
  13. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Eyeing this house at the moment. Only problem is its on a quite step slope I think going off google maps. Nice land size and corner block so some good potential.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-petrie-135502050

What are your guys opinions on the slope and will it cause dramas in future if I ever wanted to develop on this and build townhouses or something someday?

14. clubman

clubman Well-Known Member

I saw this listing too, certainly an interesting one. Don't think you can put townhouses on it for now, but certainly a pretty good pick.

15. wombat777

Extract:

With the overseas student market all but wiped out by the COVID-19 pandemic, almost all south-east Queensland universities are reporting increased domestic enrolments this year.

There has been a 25 per cent increase in enrolments at Queensland’s newest campus – the University of the Sunshine Coast’s Petrie-based Moreton Bay campus – which opened in March last year.

“The plan was for Moreton Bay to have 2400 enrolments this year, and it has already reached 3000,” USC Vice-Chancellor Helen Bartlett said

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...ueensland-s-universities-20210219-p57458.html

Seal, JAW and Rambo like this.
  16. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

Most of that increase is because the class of 2019 was only a 6 month intake and the class of 2020 was the first full year of prep in Qld. So there were twice the number of school leavers to apply to uni.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I know of several locals who have lost their jobs so going to uni seems like a good alternative and keeps the welfare payments coming in.

Squeakywheel likes this.
  18. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Anyone on the ground today on the northside? How was Petrie market this weekend?

Any feedback would be great.

19. wombat777

Median certainly climbing

1106A9CB-8EAD-4D86-B121-0DF9B02ADB9F.jpeg

clubman likes this.
  20. clubman

clubman Well-Known Member

I haven't gone out for inspections lately, but heard from multiple property agents that the market is pretty hot. Many of the buyers are cash offer.

In addition, received a couples of phone calls from agents asking me to sell what I have. LOL.