Peter Thornhill

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Redwing, 10th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Please kindly post your thoughts on the course here if you get the chance.

He's a wonderful person and his knowledge priceless. His stage persona is different to that of speaking to him privately. He's a softly spoken, patient, helpful and generous natured person. I couldn't speak more highly of anyone.

Although I'm sure if you told him the only way to make money is to invest in property he may not be quite as softly spoken:D.

Cheers

Last edited: 3rd Oct, 2016
    Ynot, Serah and Banawarra like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just ordered his book, cant wait to read it:)

KJB, Northy85, Hodor and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

Dividend income stream increased by 6.8% CAGR over 35 years. Not a bad way to live out ones retirement.

Last edited: 3rd Oct, 2016
  4. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

oracle, Jack Chen, Nodrog and 2 others like this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Great post.

Yes if one can just condition themselves to focus on the income component of stocks vs price volatility he / she will find the ride not only smoother but a lot less stressful.

b0b555, Terry_w, oracle and 1 other person like this.
  6. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Believe it or not rather than look at premium/discounts of LIC before buying I rather prefer to look at their gross yields. Once its around or greater than 6.5% I get very interested. Currently, only BKI fits that criteria out of the ones I like. Others being MLT, ARG and AFI.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Anne11, orangestreet and Nodrog like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yep, a low yield relative to average can be an indication of an overheated market or the LIC at a premium etc.

I completely lose interest in the low fee, buy and hold oriented LICs if the yield drops below 4%. The higher it's above this level the better.

Anne11 and Jack Chen like this.
  8. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Nice bit of reading especially chapter 2 hope ppl enjoy it!

Attached Files:

dansiu, Phase2, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  9. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Finished the book yesterday.
    Great read,
    Highly encouraging my wife to read it now. She is still firmly of the belief that shares are risky and property is all roses :)

Alex Straker, Nodrog and pippen like this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Thank's @pippen,

I purchased this book over a year ago out of curiosity. It's was only $4.99 US in Kindle format. I thought I'd mentioned it before somewhere here but might be wrong.

It's still available on Amazon for $5.70:

Super Smart Money: A guide to the most efficient retirement income streams for Australians eBook: Michael Holmes: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store

From memory It's a good read pretty much based on the Thornhill approach but more focused on implementation than theory / principles which is mostly the case with "Motivated Money". There's a minor amount of promotion of the author as a Financial Planner, the Superannuation examples won't be accurate with the proposed changes and direct shares rather than LICs are more the focus.

It's a reasonably comprehensive read covering Thornhill's strategy, investment structures, share selection guidelines, recommended shares (at the time of writing 2014) and gives around 5 real life case studies from memory. SMSFs and Super strategies in general are discussed quite a bit. A number of the share recommendations were sound but the inclusion of BHP, RIO and WPL wouldn't have impressed Thornhill:eek:.

As posted by @pippen the following sample chapters detail the Author's meeting with Thornhill which lead to him adopting the strategy for his clients:

https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/attachments/ssm_sample_chapters-pdf.10660/

At $5.70 and available in an instant as an electronic copy from Amazon it's hardly going to break the bank for those interested in a worthwhile read on dividend focused investing in Australia.

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2016
    Ynot, orangestreet, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jack Chen

Looking to learn more about family discretionary trusts to hold LICs/ETFs/property to fund early retirement. Will this book be of use to me?

12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Probably not, it's more of an overview of the structures.

The following publication on Trusts was popular a few years ago (Dale gave me a copy of it when it was first written) but I'm not sure he is updating it anymore? It goes into some of the more advanced trust strategies:

Trust Magic 2nd ed

The following appears to be a good free introductory publication on Trusts:

https://www.wealthsafe.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/The-Intelligent-Trust-Guide-20141.pdf

But this forum including a lot of stuff @Terry_w has posted here should give one heaps of up-to-date information.

Our Discretionary Trust is kept very simple nowadays with it's only assets being shares, LICs and a little cash. The Family Trust in combination with our SMSF works well. Of course shares and IPs can work well together in a trust but the risk of litigation against IPs (albeit low) can put your shares at risk. I found when it comes to structuring best to take a conservative approach. Keep it as simple as possible relative to your circumstances.

But this is best discussed elsewhere as I'm taking this thread off topic.

Jack Chen likes this.
  13. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I've written a detailed post on this topic on the investchat forum - somewhere.

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Terry_w likes this.
  15. Terry_w

Ynot, Serah and Jack Chen like this.
  16. Jack Chen

Thanks @Terry_w and @austing

I've already got some LICs/ETFs in personal names but now seriously considering setting up a discretionary trust now that PPOR loan is almost paid off and I have some spare equity to play with.

Initially I want to use equity and lend it to the trust to purchase my first batch of LICs/ETFs within the trust. I just need to get my head around lending from individual to the trust and the tax effects.

I posted my question here:
    Tax Tip 89: Borrowing and onlending Interest Free to a Discretionary Trust

Later on once the PPOR loan is paid off I plan to regularly 'gift' to the trust to purchase additional LICs/ETFs.

17. Terry_w

Just consider the effects of gifting on your estate planning strategy as well.

18. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Yep. agree a lot of people have this view......unfortunately it slows down their wealth accumulation plan. Can only be overcome with good education and directly experiencing what a well managed portfolio will deliver given enough time.

BKRinvesting likes this.
  19. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Anybody have an more links/articles on peter thornhills approach during accumulation phase! I have read motivated money and seen a few links and articles here and there jus wondering if there is a hidden library out there with more knowledgeable info from this genius!

Many thanks!

20. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

What are you after? It is a pretty consistent message that Peter gives - squirrel your money into industrial stocks over the long term - the use of some old low cost LICs are mentioned as a way to do this (such as WHF from one video). Debt recycling is something else in Motivated Money that is important to understand.

I don't see too much else to read about really, Peter keeps it pretty simple. I just follow my LICs and buy the weakest as money becomes available.

Ynot, KJB, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.