QLD Peter Thornhill Brisbane meetup

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by Gockie, 28th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Take the book, I'm sure he'll be flattered to sign, and read before going - it will give you a head start into his thought process and style (not a sales pitch, just a comment about getting the most from the day).

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have read it a few times as i only bought it a the rocklea flea markets last sunday for 5 bucks as some parts i did not understand ,that within itself once you go back and read a book more then one time ,and it may only come down to a few words on a page in the whole book that may work for different people..

orangestreet likes this.
  3. Chris Au

I'm sure he would be happy to talk through the parts that are unclear etc over lunch, or to the whole group for clarification, further insights etc.

Is yours the updated version (written after 2012 I think?) to incorporate thoughts from/after the GFC period?

4. willair

Yes just checked the date ,it's a very good simple read once you get head around his style of investing ..

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Will need to be a back row or far side seat for me. Otherwise me being very tall no one behind me will see anything:).

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi Everybody,
    Peter's in Melbourne on the 22nd and 23rd April so that weekend is out.
    Next preference?

7. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Oh...do you know if he is speaking in Melbourne and available for public?

8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

29th (or 30th) April would be okay for me, otherwise we are into May. From memory he has the next Sydney one early May. Did he mention what his actual availability was? Might be easier for us to formulate a couple of options from there if we know when he is able to present.

Chris Au likes this.
  9. Chris Au

29th as well. @Player 's comment is great about options and aligning with his current priorities (eg could it be difficult for Peter to do Melb on 22nd, then Bris 29th, then Syd on Sat 6 May (from usyd website). Maybe an alternate date later in May as second option (after Easter and ANZAC day out of the way)? I am open to any date in May if that's an option.

Thanks @Gockie for guiding this through!

Gockie likes this.
  10. Gockie

Looking at 8th April now... Can we lock that in? Sorry @Player :(
    @willy1111 The 22nd and 23rd April in Melbourne is an event for a private client, not for the general public unfortunately.

willy1111 likes this.
  11. Chris Au

:( But I'm sure it will be great with big attendance!

12. Player

Player Well-Known Member

No worries Gockie. You've got to do what suits most people. I can't attend during school holidays so the weekend of April 8th is out for me. I will look at maybe a future Sydney event.

13. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I am another that can't attend during school holidays.
    Sorry.

14. Chris Au

A side question if I may....

Many venues require payment for use of facilities. The Sydney PT seminar cost $410pp (I'm unsure what this covered), did Peter give an indication of what his fees would be for a Brissy seminar, and would there be an additional cost for facility hire added to that for each attendee?

(while $410 seems a lot initially, afterwards I felt it was money well spent. I got a lot from the seminar, but also break times where Peter mingled with the attendees, and talking with other attendees added great learnings to the day).

willair likes this.
  15. willair

That's good because once all the heckling starts the bouncers always look for the tall person in the back row..

Nodrog and Chris Au like this.
  16. Gockie

The idea is the charge for Brisbane is $400.
    He will give me a cut of the takings for organising it but from that money I need to pay for the venue and lunch etc.

So.... it means I need to get a lot of committed people to make it viable!
    Once we have a venue i'm thinking of making it an "Eventbrite" event that people can register and pay through. But not having a mailing list means this event needs to be publicised in some way (hopefully we get a venue soon so I can set up the event).

So it seems to be quite an effort.
    But i'm keen. :)

Nodrog likes this.
  17. Chris Au

Sounds good. Thanks for detailing it all out. Could you start with a poll here when the date and venue are set to gauge interest?. Certainly appreciate the effort required, especially when there's venues and meals and and... :)

Also through the sister site Investchat (if Simon will allow this), and...mind's gone blank.

18. Gockie

Hi All,
    @KayTea's been a great help.
    I am wondering. 8th April.

If you had the choice of Kenmore library at $385 (no lunch included, buy your own) or Carina Leagues Club at $400 (lunch included, not super awesome menu but ok), which would you prefer?
    Also happy to get other suggestions but looking preferably for a venue that does good food, seats 50 (with desks), has free parking nearby, and not super far from the city.

19. Chris Au

Could you post the menu from Carina?
    $15 seems a small difference if there is lunch included for the more expensive option. In city would be good for those travelling/flying in.

20. Gockie

Hi guys, I've attached the Catering options and the info for room hire for the Carina Leagues Club.

Attached Files:

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF