Pet peeves and minor irritants

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 20th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well, his mates could, you know, call him...on his phone...

Scott No Mates and Lizzie like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

or use that old fashioned method - texting

3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I don't understand why it makes it more difficult. Although I've never had an apple product and noone I know in Spain has an iPhone (they are about 3% of the market here), WhatsApp is still going to work on it, I have some contacts in other countries where they still use iPhones and it works fine.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We use WhatApp across our business - much better platform than Skype and not everyone is i-centric. I avoid i-centric products so I can't do farcetime.

Casteller likes this.
  5. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Think you didn't quite read what I wrote. I know how phones and social media/communication apps work.

Also, his mates might have to pay for calls. And his mates (including him) don't use social media for a variety of reasons (one being privacy). He could have gotten an iPhone (for free!) instead of an Android phone. He didn't care, he just wanted something different. He's not techie at all.

Why download data mining apps when you can get it all built in to the phone free which would then sync across to his iPad as well?

Only good excuses for not using iPhones is 1. the cost & 2. you love tinkering with the phone.

FYI: Oh and texting/calling on apple devices is exactly what Whatapp and WeChat etc is except it's built in to the phone and you don't need to worry about data mining. It works across all their devices and you can start and stop on different devices during a call or text etc.

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2019
  6. Casteller

I wouldn't call WhatsApp social media, it´s a text/voice/image/video messaging app, but you can join message groups if you want to.

Another good excuse for not owning Apple Phone is all it´s proprietary apps and standards, they don´t communicate well with everyone else, so their "facetime" app is pretty useless. Even their cables are different. Relatives in Australia have iPhones and they never seem to completely get it together with the main global communication apps like Skype, WhatsApp, etc..

One thing that really shocked me in Australia was my nephews/nieces compulsorily required an iPad for each school student ! How screwed up is that considering Android is 90% of the global market.

shorty and qak like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My daughter is issued an Apple laptop every two years ... annoys me that it's Apple as their hardware is so flimsy and it costs me $100 to pay for a new recharge cable that seems to split with no assistance

8. Scott No Mates

It's all about the design and feel good factor. Don't you feel better that you have a cable which looks pretty?

shorty and Lizzie like this.
  9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Last week I was on a flight from Hong Kong to Sydney. I'm a tall guy (6'3") so I don't fit very well in economy class seats. On most planes my knees are often very close or right up against the seat in front of me. This makes it impossible for the person in front of me to recline their seat, which usually isn't a problem once the person in front of me sees how cramped I am in those tiny seats.

However for this particular flight, the man in front of me was not having it. He tried to recline his seat, but couldn't because my legs were there. He turns around and sees what's happening and asks me something along the lines of, "Do you mind letting me put my seat back?"

I respond with, "I wish I could but I physically can't. I'll do my best to give you as much space as I can, but it won't be much." At this point he starts to get angry and just starts pushing as hard as he can back on his seat. Needless to say, this was not particularly pleasant for me. I ask him to please stop, and he says, "I'll stop when I can put my seat back."

I decide I'll just wait him out; he'll eventually get tired. After about 10-15 minutes of this, he calls a flight attendant over and proceeds to demand a new seat. The flight attendant tells him there are no available seats and he will have to deal with it. He demands to speak to the pilot.

So the flight attendant goes up front to talk to the cockpit. Keep in mind that throughout this he is still pressing with all his might against my knees, with only short breaks to yell at the flight attendant. After a couple of minutes, the co-pilot (he wanted to speak to the pilot and wan't happy about this) comes back and tries to explain to the man that he can't change seats because there are no other economy seats free. The man continues to demand a seat that is able to recline, give me an upgrade, this is unacceptable, making a scene etc.

The co-pilot finally gives in and says while looking at the man, "Sir, would you like to sit up in business class?"

The man stands up and mutters something similar to, "Bloody finally." To which the co-pilot responds, "Sir, sit down. I wasn't talking to you." He turns to me and repeats, "How would you like a seat in business class?"

I have, to this day, never seen someone as furious as the man as I walked past him to my new business class seat (with free drinks).

shorty, qak, balwoges and 12 others like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Much easier to deal with praise for using logic and solving the other guy's problem.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Still.... it would be really hard flying HKG-SYD without being able to recline your seat....

12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

People sitting in row 20 on the airplane who put their bag in the lockers above row 1

13. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

That's a lot of incorrect info for one post!
    Fair enough, I guess people will believe what they want.

She's lucky to get a safer, cleaner computer experience compared to Windows. She's also got a computer that is superior for educational workflows.

It's actually all about the Operating System. Because if it wasn't, most wouldn't pay the ever increasing Apple Tax for the design.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

The jump from Apple 2e (or thereabouts) to Mac was revolution leaving microsoft way behind but it had a gazillion users of MS compatible software suites (word perfect/Lotus 123 etc). MS didn't adopt OS2 which was a GUI well advanced for the time. That would have been the nail in Apple's coffin.

15. Casteller

... Incorrect only in your opinion. Everything I said is correct, except the 90% android market share, that number was for smart phones. For tablets iPad has a higher market share but still minority (27%).

[​IMG]

Its beyond me why people choose to be ripped off with Apple products ($100 cable ? o_O).
    I just bought a new Lenovo TAB4 10 for 108 euro ($175), similar specs to an iPad costing 3-4 times the price.

16. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Whats the daughter doing with these cables?

I still have ipad and iphone cables from 7-8 years ago still working just fine !
    Still have an iphone that has fallen off a car several times at speed, off a rooftop and many times onto the ground just from hands. Still works fine.

I would NOT call that "flimsy".

Joynz likes this.
  17. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Pet peeve of mine.

People pronouncing the word "vulnerable" without the "l". Sounds so lame....."vunerable". Noooooooo!

18. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Being tapped on the shoulder at the checkout by someone who wants the plastic rubbish that I refuse to take but wont spend their money ... :eek:

Lizzie likes this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many people pull cords by the cord and not by the plug. This will of course shorten the life of the cord.

I've frequently dropped an iPad without damaging it. In contrast, my first android tablet I dropped from knee height and it stopped working completely, on the first day. I had it replaced, and the same thing happened with the replacement some days later. While it was certainly not an expensive tablet, I expected something a lot better that that.

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I was the Macbook Air - the cable stayed plugged in to the same power point all year, on a shelf near the back door, and after school she would plug her laptop in to recharge ... that was it

Might've just be the variety and year as nearly every kid (talking over 100) had the same issue but Apple refused to take responsibility