Pet peeves and minor irritants

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 20th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We had a Mexican food stall in the Old Bus Depot Markets a few years ago. We got the right to sell bacon and egg rolls - and it was just as well we did. They were by far the most profitable line we did, and they were popular. They kept us afloat.

luckyone likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought the saying was 'when pigs fly' not when pigs float. :confused:

geoffw likes this.
  3. geoffw

No, that was the sky high prices of @SatayKing's roll and coffee.

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Toasted sourdough. Nothing but the best because I'm so worth it.

5. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

It depends on how big the roundabout is. A small one, like those that used to be an intersection in a country town, yes signal like an intersection.

But a large one, signal like it's connecting roads, indicating right and left as appropriate. So on a big roundabout, unless I'm taking the first exit, I will be indicating both ways at the appropriate junctures, which kind of maps to what you say with the added indication.

6. Casteller

An annoyance to me when I'm back in Australia is some people insisting on using SMS text messages instead of WhatsApp.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or would-be 20 somethings who think sending an invitation to a semi-formal/sit down dinner consists of a txt msg. :mad:

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Considering the recent hacking issues with WhatsApp - think I'll stick to txt'ing

The Gambler and wylie like this.
  9. geoffw

An annoyance to me when I'm anywhere is that WhatsApp can only be used on one single device. Other messaging services can be used say from a desktop or tablet.

When I travel, I don't take my good quality phone. I take one which won't break the bank if it's broken, stolen or lost. So it becomes a pain to set up WhatsApp on the other phone.

10. Casteller

Thats not right, you can you WhatsApp across a range of devices, I use it on my Linux system all the time, and I have used it on two phones.

As for international travel WhatsApp is far superior, you don´t need to setup any SIM connectivity, just need WiFi, so can use in in stopovers, etc.. SMS has pretty much been abandoned in Spain except for the occasional bank sending a message. I haven't sent an SMS here in years. I´ve three different sim cards for countries I go to, but SMS costs money usually since some Sims are pay-as-you-go, WhatsApp free and more secure. An important conversation in Australia a few years ago cost me $2.50 for every SMS because I had to use my Swiss SIM and the other person wouldn't use WhatsApp. And a family conversation group has had to revert to email because one person won´t join the WhatsApp group. And it supports audio & video calls, media, etc...

SMS is going the way of the FAX.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sounds like I need to get myself educated

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Me too. I find WhatsApp clunky & not very practical at all.

13. geoffw

Ok, thanks.

I had the trouble setting up on a second device several years ago. I needed to stuff around with verification using messages, and at that time, I could not use it on two devices.

My wife uses it extensively with her family in Mexico. There are big family discussions, with each of the siblings contributing. There is their father's estate, and my wife is trying to get business done. Overseas SMSs won't cut it.

My kids prefer to use FB messenger. One daughter has told us she'd rather use Google Duo. I'll use Skype, from time to time, but despite its ubiquity, it's got a horrible user interface.

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

For group chats I use either Facebook messenger or whatsapp. WhatsApp is better because you can set the group image to sonething useful and you can use it for sending/sharing files. Can't do these 2 things with Facebook messenger (you can set a group image but it's really low res)

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The real young 'uns nowadays use instagram chat ....

... but on another topic and back on queues ...

People who sit in the queue for ages then pull up at the takeaway drive thru window and then um and ah about what they want for the next 5 minutes. Blimin' heck. It's not like they changed the menu recently ... and I just want a ****in' coffee so hurry up!

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

17. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

If WhatsApp had frequent flyers mine would be doing well at the moment. I am home but other family members are out and about. Since Easter mine has been in daily use from Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, Dubai, UK, Iceland, Croatia, Greece, Italy and currently Israel. Messages and photos are awesome. Was even able to talk one solo traveller through an IV drip on Monday on Whatsapp. She managed to drink to much water in the heat and developed water intoxication.

Casteller likes this.
  18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Complaints about SMS v WhatsAPP v FB v Instagram v Twitter v everything else. o_O

He he

19. geoffw

You can find a list of Bugs Bunny quotes at WhatsApp.doc

Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  20. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

An earlier post about suspect social media texting apps like whatsapp and Line got me thinking about a great mate who decided to get an Android phone instead of an iPhone (for free from work), even though his entire family and all his closest friends use iPhones.
    It's slightly annoying because he's just made it all that more difficult for people to contact him as all his mates don't use social media.