Pet peeves and minor irritants

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 20th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Also Canberra focused, all the signs warning of dangers such as People Die On The Roads.

Riiiight. Maybe the cause is they are distracted by reading all the warning signs.

Angel likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The article also points out that most Canberrans think that it's ok to speed a little bit over the speed limit, as @SatayKing and many others do.
    Canberrans think they should be allowed to speed, and that the chances of getting caught are dropping

SatayKing likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

LOL. Only if my liver happens to be in a dirty mood on the day. Fortunately for me and others it is very rare.

Cruise control can be your friend in some parts of Canberra and elsewhere.

4. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

It's not inefficient in societies where a large proportion of people prefer to walk up the escalator. I always walk up unless I've got a massage bag or something. In Barcelona the walk up side is full of people walking up, its not an empty waste of space. They only stopped it in London because less people walk up there.

So my peeve is people who don't walk up but stand on the walk up side. They are usually tourists though and come from somewhere where that is acceptable.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2019
  5. Casteller

Old blokes in the gym locker room who stand around naked in the most public areas chatting with their mates while they blow dry their balls and other parts for 10 minutes.

Also in the gym, people who reserve one piece of equipment with a towel while using another.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ewwww!

7. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

People who invite you out to a group lunch/dinner without telling you the place or the time, just the date. So annoying!!!

8. Casteller

It's so common in Iceland they put up posters banning it. I see it most times I go to the gym and yes, Ewwww.
    [​IMG]

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That is really disturbing.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Where I live, there is a four-and-sometimes-six-lane northern arterial road through several suburbs. As you approach the intersection where the road into my estate turns off to the left, there would be a hundred cars lined up to turn left into another road 200 metres past my street. The RH lanes going straight ahead have almost no cars in them. It can take two or three changes of the lights to get to turn into my street, and I am very impatient.

11. geoffw

What is this gym thing you speak of?

Casteller likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I get upset by cars going at 40-50 kph along that arterial road. It is signed 70kph near residential lots and 80 through the acreage estates.

I cant talk though. I habitually slow right down as you approach a tight bend in the road (in the 70 zone) where there can often be cars banked up in front of the next set of traffic lights. I would irritate other drivers when I do that in the middle of the day or at 9pm. I usually drive there at 3:30pm when the school traffic is worse than in peak hour.

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Stuck in Sydney pennant hills m7 traffic since 3pm. Omg. Who lives with this daily!

14. Casteller

A place of worship for many, including me these days. Helps tremendously in both mind and body, I spend at least 12 hours a week there.

but speaking of gyms there are many more things there that peeve.. including another shock just this morning of a blow dryer between the legs.

* leaving weights on the bar or floor, or putting them back in all the wrong places.
    * spotters that help lift the weight when you don´t need it (they mean well but that rep doesn't count)
    * people playing their music out loud (rare thankfully but bloody annoying when they do)
    * having long conversations with others or on the phone while sitting on a bench/machine
    * using bench press or smith machine bench for other exercises.
    * doing stuff right in front of dumbbell rack

Things that are supposed to be annoying but I think are acceptable:
    * grunting
    * making noise dropping weights
    * posing in the mirrors

Was talking with a 65 yo guy last week who was lifting some heavy **** in there, inspiring stuff, I plan to be the same. Just don´t pick up that hair dryer dude !

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Jun, 2019
  15. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

People who take vertical videos with their phone. Clearly their brains are dysfunctional.

People who take flash photos at rock concerts thinking it will work.

People who take long videos at concerts instead of watching it.

TSK likes this.
  16. geoffw

I checked the ACT road laws. In the ACT, a driver needs to indicate left before entering a roundabout if their intention is to exit the roundabout less than halfway through. Similarly, indicate right more than halfway through, and don't signal for going straight through.

A left signal for exiting should be done where practicable - so a right hand indicator when exiting is incorrect, even though many drivers do so. The signal should be turned off as soon as the driver exits the roundabout.

Road rules for roundabouts do differ slightly from state to state - mostly on exiting. Some states say that a vehicle should always indicate when exiting, some say to indicate when practicable.
    How to use a roundabout | video

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think ACT's road rules should be the same as NSW's. After all, if you are going to really drive anywhere you'll encounter NSW.

And as already mentioned on this thread, the whole country should operate under the same set of road rules.
    It can't be that hard, surely? (And don't call me Shirley)

18. geoffw

Shirley
    While alltates should have the same rules, it's not practicable for them always to be in sync.

The main difference with roundabout rules is that in some states, a left indicator should be used where practicable, in some states, all the time. So always indicate to exit, and there won't be a problem.

The ACT has just introduced rules prohibiting the use of hands free functions for P plate drivers, bringing it into line with NSW.

19. geoffw

Shirley

While all states should have the same rules, it's not practicable for them always to be in sync.

The main difference with roundabout rules is that in some states, a left indicator should be used where practicable, in some states, all the time. So always indicate to exit, and there won't be a problem.

The ACT has just introduced rules prohibiting the use of hands free functions for P plate drivers, bringing it into line with NSW.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The lollypop crossing lady up in front of the local school who stops cars every time a person gets somewhere near the crossing (even if there is only one person and she has just let one car pass).

Same lollypop person who lets the traffic bank back on the main drag sometimes for over a hundred metres each way.

Same RTA endorsed pedestrian crossing person who starts 10 minutes before they should and stops traffic.

The drivers who are stopped by the growing queue of traffic caused by the said state government authority endorsed pedestrian crossing guard who then stop across all driveways and don't allow anyone to back out into the traffic.

I may have a problem with the school. :oops: