Pest Management: Treating Scorpions

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by legallyblonde, 18th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

As many of you would know my tenants never ask for anything. They have been there a little over two years and this is only their second request for maintenance. The first request literally nothing, just took my dad 15 minutes on the roof! As the title suggests they have a fair few creepy crawlies invading at the moment in the form of scorpions. I went to Bunnings to have a look at the range of products but it appears none of them have 'scorpions' on the list of species they kill. I am assuming the products would work, but perhaps scorpions aren't a common enough pest to include on the packaging. For the non-locals, the scorpions we get here are TINY, I am ot even sure if they can sting or not. My tenants lease runs out in 6 weeks, they need to let me know within the fortnight if they are renewing or not. Hopefully they stay for another 12 months!

Does anyone know of a suitable product that works on scorpions?

Thanks for your time.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

According to the link below, the scorpions in Tasmania do sting and the result isn't pleasant - but not fatal at all:
    Wood or Forest Scorpion, Cercophonius squama - Australian Museum

The Victorian museum Scorpion facts and fallacies: Museums Victoria says that scorpions aren't interested in humans, (unless stepped on, I imagine) and has a Q&A discussion section which might be helpful.

They suggest catching the scorpions In jars and releasing outside. Also, just turning on the lights at night and keeping an eye out. Some international websites have suggestions for natural control, too.

If you want to DIY spray, I would try a spray suitable for spiders and centipedes.

Last edited: 18th Mar, 2017
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Please don't kill scorpions :(

Joynz likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Good point.

Always best to work around insects. They are hugely underestimated in terms of their importance to the ecosystem.

Catch and release is best.

Xenia, Corkey and legallyblonde like this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I had a tenant request we kill the blue tongue lizards in her back yard. I told her she was lucky to have them and if I ever found out she harmed any of them I would report for animal cruelty.

I also offered that if she just puts a box or something over them and traps them, I would come and get it.

JacM, jim1964, Corkey and 3 others like this.
  6. legallyblonde

I don't think catch and release will be accepted by the tenants...

They personally don't bother me and I catch and release all creepy crawlys into the wood heap.

Joynz likes this.
  7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I take a contrary view. To my mind the only good scorpion is a dead scorpion (as with snakes). Break out the scorpion poison.

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

City boy?

legallyblonde likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We get quite small scorpions - they are about 2-3cms
    I've been researching how to deter them and it seems lavender plants are supposed to help. I have no first hand knowledge though as we haven't tried planting them.
    Here's one of my friends
    [​IMG]

ellejay and legallyblonde like this.
  10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Time to burn the house down I say!

mikey7 likes this.
  11. legallyblonde

The scorpions you find in houses down here a tiny. The biggest one I have seen in the bush wouldn't have even been 2cm

Westminster likes this.
  12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

That's 2cms too big for me :p

@KMJ and legallyblonde like this.
  13. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

:eek:

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Buy them some air freshener
    [​IMG]

Westminster likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bluetongue lizards are classed as a protected species under the National Parks and Wildlife Act, 1972. This act protects the bluetongue lizards from any sort of interference, harassment or molestation. Prevention of Cruelty to Animals law also protect them like a cat or dog.

They do bite and it can get a bit mankey as they harbour bacteria causing some necrosis if untreated. Best to safely put it into a box (not by the tail as it breaks off) using thick gloves or a item to safely push it and release in tree'd grassland near a creek etc is best if available. Like snakes they seek water sources like backyard pools

We get a few a year...They eat rodents and spiders and are good at defending against snakes. Our problem is our dogs HATE them (and the skin has an allergan). They go banana's and we now look for our little mates and try to save them.

16. legallyblonde

Update: once I looked at my options which were environmentally friendly and cost effective (which took a little bit of time)... The problem magically sorted itself out. Looks like it was just a short term issue due to unusual weather conditions. WIN WIN WIN

JacM, Joynz and Westminster like this.
  17. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Did the tenants end up renewing?

18. legallyblonde

12 months ☺

They messaged me about wanting to renew and I asked about the scorpions....

mikey7 likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia