Pest Inspection report different from reality

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by PropStar, 8th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mush

mush Well-Known Member

Hi doobynuts, do you mind me asking which type of inspection you had done and what the fault was?
    A big problem here in WA are the "structural" inspections.Whilst they conform to the Australian standards they are,in my opinion,devised to suit the requirements of REIWA and their agents.
    By reporting only on the structure of a property. All of the maintenance items, and more importantly,the safety items are excluded.
    Most real estate agents will only recommend building inspectors who solely deal in these type of inspections as it ties in nicely with the standard Reiwa contract that states that a buyer may only withdraw from the purchase if a structural issue is found,and only then if their vendor refuses to rectify the issue.
    We were initially reluctant to introduce these inspections but found that none of the real estate agents were willing to deal with us. Also, as frequently demonstrated on this forum,many purchasers seek a "cheap" building inspection report totally ignorant to the fact that if you have your legal representative insert the correct clauses in your contract then instruct your inspector to undertake a "comprehensive" inspection the report will normally pay for itself,often many times over.
    The structural inspection is relatively easy to conduct and the most lucrative for us,however I do not sit comfortably with it as it feels as if we have not given our clients a comprehensive insight into the property they are buying.

2. doobynuts

doobynuts Active Member

Mine was structural. I had major cracking (greater than 5mm) on several walls and it was found that the roof beams were not secured with enough tie downs (can't remember the technical term) - so the roof was lifting causing the cracks.

The property (my first IP) was a year old when I bought it and had no cracks and the building inspection report covered the roof/ceiling and found no issues. The building inspector was recommended by the real estate agent and I didn't really do any due diligence just checked his website which also said something like you said earlier about "walk the walk" instead of "talk the talk" and that he had 25 years experience.

I have since purchased a few more properties and have had other building inspection reports and they were all a lot more detailed and professional than this one which was more like a tick and flick sheet without photos.

3. mush

mush Well-Known Member

That is very unlucky doobynuts!
    The roof tie down straps are not an item that need to be addressed as a pre-purchase building inspection is not considered to be a compliance inspection according to the Australian standards for the reason that keeping track with compliance issues as they evolve and are upgraded would be virtually impossible.
    That said,an experienced building inspector would normally comment on an issue like this if there were indications that the structural integrity of the property was being compromised.
    The good news is that your property has a minimum 6 year structural warranty issued by the builder and you may recover any associated rectification costs from them. If they will not come to the party you may lodge a complaint with the W.A Building commission for a small fee and if you have explained this correctly,you are almost certain to gain a favourable outcome.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've got to ask doobynuts... what is the story with the avatar photo? :eek::eek::eek:

BuyersAgent likes this.
  5. mush

mush Well-Known Member

I assumed it was a 'selfie'........

2927 likes this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The wind changed ?

Did not take medicine as prescribed ?

:):):)

BuyersAgent likes this.
  7. dabbler