NSW Pest control - Wasp Nests

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by jprops, 16th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm a tenant and need a couple wasp nests to be removed. Is it reasonable to request that the landlord arrange this?

Thanks,
    Jprops

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A couple of options:

• Spray bug spray and run inside (or do it at night when they're not as active)
    • Use a vacuum cleaner with a long wand to suck tem up, spray into the vacuum
    • Let the PM deal with it

Dan Wood and jprops like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've had an IP in the past which had 2 nasty wasp nests in the garden. Tenants requested them to be dealt with. I got a pest company to come and deal with it. They had little kids and the last thing i wanted was for them to be stung. Company dealt with it no issues.

Pest Control Service - Pest Control North Brisbane
    $170 any house - Pest Control Sydney - with warranty

Team Tenant likes this.
  4. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

@Sackie thanks mate.

I found some guidance from fairtrading nsw. Pests and vermin. It states that wasps are the tenants responsibility if found during the tenancy.

upload_2019-12-16_12-19-31.png

It also states:

Which somewhat contradicts the table. When I moved in, the owner laid all the garden bare. I've since added some flowers. So maybe the wasps are my fault :p

Sackie likes this.
  5. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Thanks scott, however no PM, the owner self-manages the property. This is a blessing and a curse.

6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

It's pretty much the tenants responsibility provided the property was in the appropriate condition at handover, with that said though, if there is a termites nest and risk of affecting the house, that would be the Lessor/Agent. Also, in the extreme case if you had a severe bee hive or wasp nest in parts of the house (like you see in those crazy stories), again would more likely be something the Lessor would want to address. What is annoying is an increasing trend where younger generation (snow flakes) who can't tie their own shoe laces, expect the Lessor to fork out for professional pest control when some common sense about maintaining the property (such as not living like a pig and keeping the screens closed) and some bug spray would take care of the matter. The gap between expectation in reality needs further clarification..

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its easy to do, just spray them at night. You don't even need to run away generally - but get ready just in case. Wear some extra clothes too just in case.

I got stung a few times walking close to a nest in the garden which I didn't see. Friggen hurts and my hand swelled up pretty bad.

Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Let the owner get stung in that case. :D Let Karma come back and sting him/her.

datto, Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Yep, spray early morning before sunrise. They are as doughy as dead bread.
    Careful Terry, the more times you get stung the more dangerous it becomes for you apparently. Ive had quite a few stings, worst was in the inside corner of my eye.
    **** that hurt! Couldnt open both eyes for like an hour it hurt that much. Opened the electricity meter box and BAM! nest inside there chock full.
    You know how you stick your head in once you open it....yeah well......
    Thought Id have a black eye for a week but next day it was just itchy, no sign or pain at all.

Terry_w and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've done the spray and run like hell and night
    Repeat again the next day for extra measure.
    Works well.

Extra clothes is a must.

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Dec, 2019
    Michael Mitchell likes this.
  11. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

My landlord used this product [LINK] for a wasp nest about the size of a fist. Worked pretty well. It shoots a stream a few metres so you can get it from a relatively safe distance.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  12. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Your landlord might not know the legislation or be happy to pay for a pest controller, but in NSW the cost/issue should be yours if the wasps weren't there when you moved in or aren't located in a structural part of the property (eg wall cavity).

jprops and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the legislation is in WA. I know my PM should but always good to double check. I just had a request to pay for treatment of a wasps nest...normally I would just say go ahead but as this is my negative CG...negative CF IP in WA I’m getting a bit more stingy with any expenses. :oops:

14. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Just tagging on the back of this thread- I've had an issue come up where my tenant in a QLD property "Tenant has been finding redbacks throughout home as well as roaches." They have a small dog and 2 children.

The house was professionally cleaned prior to moving in and nil pest mentioned on entry condition report.

So far I'm thinking of copping the professional pest cleaning expense. 3 sources telling me its probably best:
    "When it comes to pest control, the lessor is expected to provide a dwelling that is free from pests by making sure that routine inspections are performed and pest control treatments are done as necessary. It is customarily considered best practice for lessors to conduct an annual general pest control treatment."
    Rental Property Management Milton - Who's Responsible for Pest Control | Rental Results
    "If you follow your responsibilities under the Act and do not cause a pest problem (e.g. by keeping a pet on the premises), then, regardless of what is written in your agreement, your lessor, agent or provider will be responsible for pest control. "
    https://tenantsqld.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Repairs-and-Maintenance_TQ-v3-July-2016.pdf
    "As a general rule, however, any outbreak or infestation of pests or vermin that was not as a result of the above (unleanliness) that will be the responsibility of the landlord/lessor.
    Pest control - Who is responsible, landlords or tenants? - Rent Blog

Alternatively I found 1 source (albeit from NSW) stating I could ask them to pay for it as not stated on entry condition report:
    Is Pest control a landlord or tenant responsibility?

Anyone think I should be a tighta$$ and save the cash and push back on my PM, or should I continue to be a pushover and give in to the continuing requests from overreaching tenants?

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are your tenants overreaching or just expecting a premises that had a pest treatment before they went in?

We do pest treatments if required (if outgoing tenant for some reason hasn’t done one) and ask outgoing tenants to provide the same thing as they leave. We rarely have trouble but if they don’t do it, we pick it up ourselves.