QLD Pest Control Request

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by hellworld, 31st Mar, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hellworld

hellworld Member

My RE manager sent me the following today:

Tenant has requested for pest control - treatment, due to "cockroaches in the bathrooms and garage, and spiders also inside the house"

Please advise your instructions and if you would like us to use our trade for this, and provide you a quote?

I am fairly new to the landlord game, but this seems unreasonable on multiple levels.

* No photos videos supplied
    * Recent property inspection did not include any notes of pests (within past month)
    * RE immediately suggests their trade to provide a quote, which I would be happy for if it was my responsibility or an infestation.
    * Why did the RE escalate this when they could have asked for photo evidence and essentially tell the tenant to deal with it. (personally I would buy some fly spray and some traps)
    * Client recently renewed lease (did include a 10% increase on previous year) but no mention of pests

Am I being unreasonable here? I asked the RE to clarify.

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

[​IMG]

craigc, Stoffo and hellworld like this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

* No photos videos supplied
    Tenants generally wouldn't supply photos/videos of pests, there's a certain level of trust here- if you haven't got any reason to believe the tenant has some sort of strange ulterior motive for asking for pest control, I think you could failrly assume they have pests.

* Recent property inspection did not include any notes of pests (within past month)
    Agents property didn't see pests at the inspection.

* Why did the RE escalate this when they could have asked for photo evidence and essentially tell the tenant to deal with it. (personally I would buy some fly spray and some traps)
    Many Realestates don't realise that Landlords are not responsible for general pest control.

* Client recently renewed lease (did include a 10% increase on previous year) but no mention of pests
    Tenants probably weren't aware of a pest problem at that point.

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The rental I live in has a termite inspection every year. If I ask they happily spray for ants or spiders.
    It's your property.

Recently before tenants moved in I sprayed extensively for spiders and ants. Ants wreck my brick paving so I always spray for them

5. hellworld

hellworld Member

Probably, but I am wondering if they are being vindictive. I had to raise the rent.

6. hellworld

hellworld Member

Yes we get the termite protection done.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Same :cool:
    If the landlord didn't bring the cockroaches over or cause the cockroaches then they are not responsible :p
    Sure some variety of roaches show up at certain times of year, but most often it's because there is a food source (caused by the occupants :oops:)

8. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

3 pack of mortein my friend.
    Ask tenants to purchase this and follow the instructions.

I had to adjust spell check.. wanted to say Martini......
    I hope this helps?

craigc and Michael Mitchell like this.