WA Perth - Yield focused

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by gach2, 22nd Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on suburbs with high yields

Im aware armadale/kelmscott and swan valley region (midlands/ swan view)

But anywhere else where 5% is possible with a little extra value (eg 400k buy in price than a 250k purchase?)

Looking at houses only (older 3/1/1) for the purpose of my analysis

Also not interested in Rockingham at this stage

Anywhere I can search stats for myself? Tried realestate.com.au but searching each suburb is quiet annoying

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2020
  3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Both are definitely within the criteria

Though prefer suburbs around 400k (Huntingdale appears mid - high 2s) with 400pw rent or well as high as possible without dipping much below 5%

Looking at average prices than suburbs - so I can search a bit better at this stage

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It is unlikely that a suburb based statistic is going to give you what you want. Rarely is yield static over a suburb.

If you are starting with suburb analysis then you might want to use the Reiwa website which has more local field and more market information

Perth Property Market Data | WA House Prices, Sales & More

5. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Thanks will check it out

Definitely right there in terms of stats not giving me what I want but it can give me an idea towards what I want

6. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Not sure about potential yield but around the 400k mark I would look at Beechboro or South Lake type suburbs. Probably require a dual occ type of set up but you’ll get decent land >500sqm for CG as a kicker.

Propin likes this.
  7. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

VICPER and charttv like this.
  8. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

For yield and consistency of it, I would by a house with 2 bathrooms. Wouldn't go as far out as Armadale/Kelmscott. Huntingdale/Thornlie are good options. 5% is a piece of cake 6%+ can be hard in the current market but not impossible.

Damo93 likes this.
  9. Peter gavalas

Peter gavalas Well-Known Member

Damo93 likes this.
  10. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

I certainly would not invest in any of the suburbs mentioned in that article. Gotta love MSM..
    Much better off going for, as you said: "slightly lower yield with better capital growth potential"

A 5% option closer in as @JohnPropChat mentioned above is very achievable.

JohnPropChat and Peter gavalas like this.
  11. Peter gavalas

Peter gavalas Well-Known Member

There are some really good options achieving those yields and much better capital growth prospects.
    No point trying to focus on making $2000-$3000 extra a year on yield, when you can potentially achieve 5-10% growth.

JohnPropChat and Damo93 like this.
  12. JohnPropChat

Empire, Citycat88 and Damo93 like this.
  13. Spiralkut

Spiralkut Well-Known Member

I'd say Maddington / Cannington is best bet.

14. JohnPropChat

Cannington maybe, Maddington less so. Stick to the west of Albany Hwy or move closer to the city.

15. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Hey sorry haven't seen these posts lately.
    The initial post was about the 400k mark - still feel thats too much in thornlie (unless its a new larger house).

Don't know anything about them but on paper Cannington/Queens Park seemed good (though 5% may have been a struggle but 4 is quiet achievable)

I also felt north east maybe bassendean, Hazelmere could have squeezed in

Though after certain research of my own finances unfortunately I wont be able to invest in this budget so have moved down to the bottom of barrel (Armadale/Kelmscott)

@JohnPropChat
    You mentioned you wouldn't go far out as this - Just wondering your opinion (in reality im chasing 5% net - not including maintenance and interest rates)

16. JohnPropChat

What's your budget for this time around?

17. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Sorry my previous post wasn't complete
    You mentioned you wouldn't go out armadale/kelmscott - just wondering your opinion of why not. I understand the low price/demographic issues but just wanted to see your specific reasoning.

Budgeting in 200s (prefer on the low side) - I know for this Gosnells is possible and when moving to the highs even thornlie. Also had a look at north side with swan valley area and westminister/balga area

Got any opinion on regionals (WA) - Bunbury?

18. JohnPropChat

No comment on regionals, when Perth is moving along nicely.

Reasoning is just that, tenant issues and property damage which will quickly eat into your cashflow.

I've mentioned this in other threads, I've made money from the suburbs of Armadale and Gosnells before. You need to be very thorough in your research with specific pockets and the stock you are buying to attract and retain good quality tenants. Other than that, happy investing.

Westiminster/Balga had lot of discussion on these threads. There is a reason why a near new 3x2 villa sells for mid $200k's. Not for everyone but if you know what you are doing and have a clear exit strategy then why not.

Managing a property interstate means you are completely reliant on the PM and "fixing things" can get real expensive real quick.

What you want to spend on this project is obviously a personal choice but I strongly recommend to look for stock in high 200's in suburbs that are as close to the city as possible and with as much land as possible. If you are really stretched to spend in the low $200ks then Armadale etc are game.

19. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with what you mentioned and probably would not recommend purchasing unless your able to hit 5% net yield (not including borrowing costs) and even then I would say not for the faint hearted.

Also agree with the rest of the points you made and what you said about Westiminster/Balga with the amount of supply was a definitely a turn off of the area.

Anyway whole point of the tread was upper end suburb for yield in Perth and seems like a few decent suggestions have been made.

For me its a bit of a side project - hopefully will post a bit more details up when im a bit more finalised into the location and product

JohnPropChat likes this.
  20. Mady

Mady Well-Known Member

Redcliffe is good return... with new DFO, train station & Costco coming up I would expect it will grow soon.

I already bought 2 properties in Redcliffe based on hotspot report and I am from Melbourne.