WA Perth Villa's , Front , middle or Rear ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by See Change, 13th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Looking at Villa's in Perth

Wondering if people from Perth who are familiar with the villa market , if there's a major difference in demand for the different positions in terms of buyers and if someone's renting

Cheers

Cliff

@Westminster

Realist35 likes this.
  2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Depending on the street, the front would be my choice especially if it has a separate driveway. They often have a small yard too.

The issue I see on 5 unit or less complexes. They don't want a Strata or fees so over the years the common driveway degrades. There is no reserve fund, eventually brick paving driveways need major repairs.

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2022
    charttv likes this.
  3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

I dont invest in villas so dont care too much from an investing perspective

From a living perspective though
    - Front with its own driveway is awesome but usually find the fronts have the least private non road facing open space, but at the same times its got the largest open space once including the front yard (which to me is usually a waste of space)

Cons of middle/rear - some of the manouvering minimum standards are pretty hard to drive on depending on your car. Unless you have a hatch size or rear view cameras the chance of bumping into something is quiet high, especially if you have 2 cars in the double garage. Remember Perthians love their 4x4

Shogun likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Front or rear generally get the most money when I do a triplex. Unless of course it's a corner block and everyone gets street frontage.

Realist35, charttv and spoon like this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Generally front is the best by far. Then the rear, as it's usually bigger and has a better layout. Lastly the middle one that has two shared boundaries.

Realist35, charttv and Westminster like this.
  6. See Change

As a rental , is there a major difference in rentability ?

cliff

7. Westminster

Not a huge difference but it will affect CG which I assume you will want as well?
    They are likely to rent around the same rate but the front will rent quickest and for the most, then rear, then middle.

Realist35 likes this.
  8. See Change

This is more for cash flow in our super rather than capital gain , so a nice villa in a nice area is something we’re thinking might give us more return.

We’re not specifically looking for another cash injection at the moment . Brisbane’s going to pay down our debts so this is more for cash flow .

cliff

Westminster likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What @Westminster said

Front villa will always achieve highest price
    Middle villa least desirable lowest price
    Rear slightly lower price than front villa, but still desirable

I think rents will be all similar, perhaps a tad more for front villa as you have own drive way/garage

I would be looking at strata fees if apply. It may be a deal breaker if looking for cash flow?????

10. sandyg

sandyg Active Member

Would you factor this in when building/planning a 3 townhouse dev? Maybe make the front a little bigger/higher spec etc? Or just focus on having a separate driveway?

11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I often seen the rear one being 2 storey. Don't over capitalise. End values are important

13. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I purchased two adjoining villas on a corner block. This way each villa has its own driveway entrance in a different street. They are Torrens titled.....so no strata fees. I reside in one and rent the other one out.
    I did this after downsizing from a large family home.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

depends on land size
    What council approves. Many councils wont approve separate driveway. I got this one in, very fortunate

15. Westminster

You would factor it into your feasibility that they won't all be worth the same amount.
    Some councils won't allow a separate driveway for the front unit but even so it generally does fetch a higher price even if the garage is off the main driveway.
    I don't think I would spend extra on the spec of middle unit to try and bring it up to the value of the front unit. It's likely to just be over capitalise. I would be very careful about it's design though to try and make it as attractive as possible.

16. See Change

not interested in house and Land at the moment . Building costs going up . Feb Herron Todd White is talking about 2 year rather than 26 week time frames and builders finding ways to increase price of fixed price contracts ( Probably justifiably due to increasing costs ) to avoid going bankrupt .

Cliff

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ATM Avoid like the plaque

18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Looking earlier this year. Building gets a better block of land in a better suburb for about same price as buying pre-built/finished. Some ads had build time on them. You can guess or contact builder. Lots of new building around me

19. See Change

Green title Vs Strata TItle . What's the differance ? Havne't heard of Green before .

Cliff

20. Westminster

Green is what you call Torrens? I hope I got that right. It's a full title - no common property. Then there is strata - our strata can also be with or without common property though just to be pedantic.

The main difference is that Green will have it's own set of services whereas on strata one sewer line can service a triplex with 3 spurs off the one master spur.

Shogun likes this.