WA Perth - southern suburbs for IP

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by AsburyJuke, 9th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AnasWestie

AnasWestie Well-Known Member

Hi matey,

Yeh I am actually considering relocating to Perth now, family loved the idea too, I am hopefully securing a position with work there and will be again going for few weeks of work with the Federal Gov to WA next week.
    At the moment I am in the process of subdividing my property R30 zoning. I bought for under 500k. There was a bargain that I put an offer on last week 1 Bligh Place Thornlie sold for 410 cash I put 390k and was willing to pay up to 430k for it but the RE agent found the old lady owner a cash deal so it was sold instantly. Bugger but good on them.

I like the other areas you mentioned but for me Thornlie looked much better and I believe it will do much better.
    Also Gosnells council wants to gentrifying its local cities and apparently has been smoothly approving DAs

Propin and Propaus like this.
  2. AnasWestie

Homely generally is a good guide as most people that comment are from or have lived in that area.

Facebook is somewhat biased i.e if you follow pages that concerned with crime you are gonna hear lots of crime stories, if the page is moderated by young person his focus will be those kind of issues related to young people.

I went and inspected few areas myself and my impression from Facebook stories comment VS Real has changed heaps.
    In saying that, you can tell the difference when visiting Dianella vs Mirrabooka which is adjacent to Dianella!
    Even Canning Vale Vs Thornlie, although the difference is much less apparent than the other example, Canning Vale is an upper Middle Class (hence the prices are 550k-700k) to adjacent suburb Thornlie where its mixture of working and Middle class and where you can still purchase (after price decline of 2014) for around 350k 3b and 400k 4b.

Hope this helps.

Propin and Propaus like this.
  3. bonchovies

bonchovies Well-Known Member

Hi AnasWestie, wondering how would you retain the house at 1 Bligh? From google maps, it looks like it's pretty much in the centre. Was the most that place could be subdivided into 2 lots? I think when i looked it was 50sqm off 3 lots, please correct me if i'm wrong (still trying to understand Perth's zoning rules).

Mulianto likes this.
  4. AnasWestie

Hi mate I just saw ur post.

1 Bligh Pl Thornlie was easily subdividable with minimal costs and 100% cost free to retain the main house.
    On the right side of the house there is a vacant land with approximately 11 to 12 width and approx 32 to 34 deep that comfortably gives you over 350sqm and leaves you with 650sqm main residence (can be subdivided later on at 325sqm each under R30 corner lot clause).

I hope this helps

bonchovies likes this.
  5. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

So, after a pretty extensive search, I've ended up purchasing further south - in the Rockingham LGA. Great yield and a lower purchase price means I've kept some powder dry for another purchase in 2021.

Thanks for all the advice from Perth-ites!

SouthBoy, AnasWestie, Dann and 4 others like this.
  6. Anders

Anders Active Member

7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Did you just pick a house or there is some thinking behind it? Not knowing much about Thronlie I can see all the recent sales are below $500k so I would say expensive. By the way it is under offer, 90% sure investor from East :)

8. AnasWestie

It depends on the product really and the high demand is driving the rapid growth in Thornlie there is barely any products on the market. A property was asking for 379k I put in 390 and was sold for 415k cash I was going to put in up to 450k for it!!! Old lady was happy to sell for 415k.

You are right though, I would be careful not to spend 500k on a property that has no development potential unless it's the PPOR I want. As for data wise, Thornlie ticks it all, doing excellent and will continue to do so for sometime.
    I have been following this suburb closely since 2019 when the Perth market was in coma, missed out on many bargains, bought in 2021, made 70k equity in 6months!!!!

ALT likes this.
  9. AnasWestie

Congrats, Warnbro has some good data and good beaches although Thornlie, data wise has done and still doing better and has lower unemployment rate, less days on the market, higher demands and less products for sale. Warnbero has a slightly better yield.

10. AsburyJuke

Cheers mate - yes, I bought in Warnbro. Beach-side of Currie St, 4/2/2 with a big shed :)

AnasWestie and Westminster like this.
  11. AnasWestie

Congrats Luca!
    If I was to invest again soon, I would be looking at Warnbro closely! It has been recommended by multiple senior investors that I know where they have been recommending it to their clients. Ofcourse there is a reason why, because the data is quite excellent there. Let's hope that Perth continues to be the champion economy and Covid free state and we will all be couple of hundies richer next few years

12. trungvn

trungvn Active Member

13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not a bad option, definitely worth doing some DD on.

trungvn likes this.
  14. Darsh

Darsh Member

15. AnasWestie

That is a good buy if one can build it

16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

17. AsburyJuke

18. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

19. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Whats the view from locals on Beckenham?
    Connection to Cannington/Queens Park but I with slightly lower prices?

20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Not terrible. As you know the price point of suburbs usually is a pretty good dictator of the quality but it's not the only thing of course - distance from CBD, ammenities etc also count. It's not too far from the city, has a train station and easy access to Roe Hwy so is well connected but you don't want to be too close to Roe.
    I believe there might still be some areas of Beckenham that still aren't connected to deep sewerage. I know there was a program to do it but last I heard there was still some areas not done but I'm happy to be wrong on this. There is probably some soil issues and flood zones down by the Canning River part of it.
    Parts of the suburb do have Perth airport noise. I believe it used to be quite bad but they have been doing more variations to try and spread the joy that is the noise. Check ANEF contours if you are looking at the suburb.