Perth real estate Micro blocks of 80sqm to go on sale

Discussion in 'Development' started by Perthguy, 20th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

They're clerestory windows. The ceiling is raked.

Traditionally clerestory windows sit inside 'barn dormers'.

2. Aaron Sice

Glad you like it! I designed the development.

aussieB, Joynz and Perthguy like this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Nice work, Aaron.

Perthguy and Aaron Sice like this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it is easy to design a space. However, it's not easy to create a space that works really well and looks good at the same time. I found this one really well thought through.

Archaon likes this.
  5. klabat

klabat Well-Known Member

Any pictures of examples of this type of finished product?

If only this was allowed in Melbourne, this would be a great product to launch in the metropolitan area

6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Was a pretty great collaboration between Aaron, my interior designer and myself, was absolutely unheard of and prob unthinkable nearly 4, years ago to squeeze 4 apartments on 312sqm rear block off a laneway with all 1 bedders being 45 Sqm internally and the 2x1 only 61 or so.
    I moved from this apartment
    8/24 Cliff Street, West Perth
    http://www.domain.com.au/10958942 of around 150 odd Sqm into the 61 Sqm 2 bedder in this project and it was quite amazing how comfortable a small place can be if done right

Archaon, Westminster and Perthguy like this.
  7. sanj

3/3 West Parade Perth WA 6000 3/3 West Parade Perth WA 6000 - Unit for Rent #420546818 - realestate.com.au

Talk about good timing, just listed for rent today, slight error with ad which will be fixed tomorrow as the price previously included bills too which hasn't been said here.

So far all tenants in this project(it's a long term investment for someone who kept all4) have stayed longer than average

8. Aaron Sice

The interior selections made that space feel amazing and really furthered the volume.

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2017
  9. Sir Robert Torrens

Sir Robert Torrens New Member

I think it's a great alternative for infill development, without many of the issues that plague strata titles.

10. sanj

Pls amend reference to his/her name, as you know doesn't like to be contacted randomly etc...

But yes, definitely agree

Still pretty happy that I paid only $30/m2 incl for those tiles!

11. Aaron Sice

Done - sorry forgot!

Your vision also needs to be commended in that project too. It's not often I get a client who wants to really push the envelope.

12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Quite impressive lads.

Good to see some actual thought being put into designs which work.
    I would usually add that my only concern is 'is perth market ready' but maybe the market is, it's just that such developments aren't common enough yet.

What is the 'half' height bench in the kitchen designed/intended for?

Blacky

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Aaron Sice

It's a study nook.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Blacky and Perthguy like this.
  15. Perthguy

Commentary on the micro lots:

80sqm housing blocks to go on sale in Perth, homelessness throughout Western Australia - including a recent focus on Bunbury - and a steep fall in property values in Perth must make people wonder what is going on with housing in Western Australia?
    I found this comment interesting

Lots of apartments are being built, but this is not a solution. None of this type of supply is really affordable to low-income households and much of it remains unoccupied for a range of reasons, including the use of negative gearing and CGT discounts.
    How does an investor negatively gear a vacant apartment? Seems like someone doesn't understand the tax system.

The rise and rise of ‘dehumanised housing’

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That is a very interesting opinion piece. I get that the author is a spokesperson for homeless people but it's quite an uneducated rant. Surely he'd be for 80sqm lots being sold if it helped affordability?

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Perthguy

It's interesting and I can see where he is coming from... in a way. With my limited investments I am always conscious that my property is a home for people to live in. With my renovations and current build I try to create a home, not just maximise the numbers. Trying to extract the ultimate yield from a property by running the numbers turns the investment from a home to a commodity, something that is bought and sold purely for profit. Where this can bring investors undone is if they don't consider their market and demand for their product. I saw this in the City of Belmont area where I live and invest where inexperienced property developers jumped in and build the maximum number of apartments possible for each site disregarding demand and supply. Apartments have been overbuilt and prices have dropped. I am doing 4x2's in the same area because they are in demand but there is very little supply. Some of the 4x2's that have been build are poorly designed and not attractive for buyers or renters.

It's not all about building bigger or better though. It's about identifying gaps in the market and filling those gaps. @sanj did this in West Parade Perth (posts above), you did it in Gwelup and @Aaron Sice in the inner north of Perth (sorry, I have forgotten which suburbs). From what I have seen with these developments, care was taken to design them to be functional for occupants. It's fairly clear that not all property investors treat property purely as a commodity to maximise profit.

18. Aaron Sice

I'm glad you mentioned @sanj in that post because I think out of all property developers I have met, he and his investors "get it" with respect to the future occupants ad infinitum.

#affordability is more than just how cheap something is - and I have a feeling that's what this editorial is about. 80sqm lots mean nothing if the rest of your available money is spent on fuel and you end up wasting productive time in traffic.

#affordability = appropriate dwellings, not necessarily under median, or within the median dual income FHB's purchasing range.

Blacky and Perthguy like this.
  19. Aaron Sice

Underdevelopment is often more profitable than overdevelopment.

Case in point right there. Families also want to live in a place well connected.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

Sometimes it's just about putting a bit of effort into design, layout and finishes to make a place more liveable. For example, a 4x2 in an area with high demand for 4x2's but I think about no thought at all went into this kitchen. Is this a suitable kitchen for a family home?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say it hung around on the market for quite a long time. I don't think it would have cost that much more to put in a kitchen suitable for a family.

Blacky, Westminster and Aaron Sice like this.