Perth real estate Micro blocks of 80sqm to go on sale

Discussion in 'Development' started by Perthguy, 20th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've been out to Innovo as one of my builders (Thompsons) has 3 houses in the display village (only one is up at the moment)

80sqm is fine for a 2 x 2 with a single garage.

Ellenbrook have used their own DAP to allow more building to boundary, overshadowing, higher plot ratio etc

City of Swan was the only council willing to do this, which is a shame as really it's more conducive to areas closer to the city but I think it will show people what can be done with smaller lots and open the doors to a "if we build it, he will come" type scenario and hopefully other council's will consider it

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Westminster

BTW my lots in Highgate are approx 90 sqm and on that I have

72sqm living
    18sqm of carport
    15sqm of balcony
    24sqm of courtyard (4 x 6m)
    9sqm of rear or side courtyard (1.5 x 6) for washing lines, more natural light and ventilation

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of tents I could sell....

5. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Realistically 80sqm yields a 2 bed home over two floors, or a 3 bed home over 2+loft / 3 floors.

You can actually have your living area on the second floor with a balcony; or on the top floor with a roof-top terrace for the full building footprint.

I think West Australians, in particular, need to realise that just because you have a piece of dirt, doesn't mean you need grass, trampoline, cubby, water tank and veggie patch.

If you want that stuff, go buy one of the remaining 15,000 odd homes for sale and leave these 11 alone.

Cost to deliver services isn't discounted though, nor is GST and developer contributions so don't expect an $80,000 sale price, but the house on this product is much cheaper and likely to be more appropriate for the occupant.

propertylad, DaveyB, charttv and 3 others like this.
  6. Perthguy

A few years ago I toured some small lot houses. I don't recall the lot size but it would not have been too large. They houses were nice. They seemed spacious enough inside by being more efficient. They design made them feel much bigger inside than they actually are. Page 14 of this document

http://planningwa.com/wp-content/up...ential-Densification-Challenges-Read-Only.pdf

LukeR likes this.
  7. Aaron Sice

funny that - a dog box with a raked ceiling is all it takes.

I always say that a 6x6 room with a 2.4m ceiling will feel the same as a 4x4 room with a 4 metre ceiling......and it does - @sanj 's West Perth development proves that. Even made the news.

Westminster and Perthguy like this.
  8. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Walking around IKEA and looking at those tiny homes gives you a great understanding of what you can do.

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

There was talk about this in Sydney last year - smaller lot sizes. But then the relevant state minister got moved. It was promoted as a sensible mid point between houses on big blocks, and apartments. Most people in the inner parts of Sydney are comfortable with smaller lot sizes given the fact that old, tiny terrace houses are the dominant housing type.
    I reckon clever built-in storage is the key to small houses so people don't need to bring in cupboards.

LukeR and Westminster like this.
  10. Westminster

Absolutely. I have 2700mm (around 32c) high ceilings in my Highgate ones which allows a double row of overheads in the kitchen. Yes, the upper ones will be hard to reach but they will be good for storing infrequently used items. Under the stairs I have a walk in pantry/laundry - every inch is being used.

Archaon, Blacky and Sonamic like this.
  11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I used to have a town house. The lot size was about 90sqm. And living space for a 3x1 was roughly 100sqm (two levels) plus a court yard front and rear and a single garage.
    It was built in the 80s so had some design flaws. And a upper level balcony would have made a big difference.
    But It's a nice difference to apartment living.

In saying that I still fail to see that ellenbrook is the right place for. It would work very well in freo or northbridge imo.

Blacky

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Aaron Sice

Of course it would make more sense but if Swan are the only LGA to be favourable to the concept, what do you do?

13. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I would like to see that. For when micro lots come to QLD. I thought 180sqm was a small plot. But 80sqm is Tokyo type living.

14. Westminster

They are in QLD. Check out Fitzgibbon Chase which has lots which are only 50sqm!!

Sonamic likes this.
  15. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yup lots of storage, natural light, little things like separate toilets for small 1 bedders so you can be in the shower and have a guest still use the toilet etc.

Photos below are of the project Aaron referred to above, the living areas, bathroom, separate toilets, large bedroom and kitchen with heaps of bench space is all only 46sqm but was a much nice space to be in than many 55sqm 1 bedders I've been in

Attached Files:

16. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Obviously not a townhouse which is the topic but an example of the difference thoughtful and appropriate design can make

Archaon and Perthguy like this.
  17. Perthguy

Indeed. And quality finishes. They are spectacular! (design and finishes)

sanj likes this.
  18. Westminster

My other version of a micro lot started last week. 3 townhouses on 320 sqm in Clarkson. They are 70sqm of living with one bedroom and another multi purpose room.

Framing started on Friday and ground floors should be finished framing tomorrow.

IMG_4799.JPG

Archaon, Braz, charttv and 1 other person like this.
  19. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

That high ceiling is great, Sanj. Do they call that a clerestory roof?

20. Aaron Sice

Also Lightsview in Adelaide.