Perth PPOR builder advice

Discussion in 'Development' started by goponcho, 9th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Hi,

Looking for some advice on my first demo and build.

Currently live in a survey strata duplex which has a few complications for rebuilding
    - a common party wall/roof
    - block is on a corner with 'road 2' a reasonably busy road
    - a couple of street trees making driveways tricky
    - sort of trapezoid block too
    - aiming to utilise north facing spaces if possible

This is a first build, looking at a moderate quality build 4x2 two storey for ~500k-550k

Should i be going to a project builder and asking them to draw up plans for my block? Would they be able to demo a job with common wall
    Or should i be speaking to someone else?

Which builders are reputed and unlikely to go busto in this real estate environment?

Thanks
    Ps here is my block art below

house.png

Thanks

Kryys and Angad Singh like this.
  2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Moderate quality are usually Ventura, Highbury, aveling , plunkett
    Ross North is a little step up.

Danmar might also be worth a try

Colin Rice and goponcho like this.
  3. Angad Singh

Angad Singh Well-Known Member

Hi Goponcho,

I run a boutique building company and develop my own projects.
    Here are a few comments based on my experience that I hope you find helpful;

-Project builders can offer you really great prices for cookie cutter homes, however when it comes to designed/custom homes they are often much more expensive.

-Asking a builder to do your designs is often not the best idea. Builders pricing is essentially a mark up on raw costs, so builders have no incentive to keep the costs down. This does not mean a builder is trying to rip you off, nor does it mean that they are unethical. They just do not necessarily apply their mind to minimising 'dead costs' in a build.

-Personally, I find when it comes to design its best to choose an independent draphtsperson, building designer or architect who charges a fee for service (not % of build cost) for design only. Be sure that their fees are clearly documented and negotiated upfront, and that you will own the copyright so that you can take it to a builder of your choosing. The importance of good design in a home is extremely underrated. Not only does it add value and give you a product that better suits your needs, it also has the potential to reduce the upfront build costs, and ongoing running costs of your home. Happy to put forward some names if you like.

- Following from the above, most of the issues (block shape, courtyard position, driveway position etc) will be handled by a good designer/architect, and pose no real issue from a construction perspective.

- The common wall/roof can often be done, but it's not always as simple as it might seem. If there are issues which are flagged, then you will need to a structural engineer to assess it properly.

I wish you best of luck on your journey:) $550K should be able to get a you a really amazing two story home:)

Warm Regards,
    Angad Singh

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Nov, 2017
  4. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Thanks for the reply, have been chasing some of these guys - communication and initial sketch takes a while to pin down.

Thanks Angad, have pm'd you for a contact for a architect/draughtsperson - design and tender might be an option to cut out some of the margins from a project build, with improved design features.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Any further thoughts on the two building options:
    1. Project builder
    2. Architect designing, then tendering to builders

If i not looking for too much flair or difficult design, is the cheapest way going with a project builder as they can achieve economies of scale?

On the other hand, the tendering process might reduce the margin builders might charge?

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Pay a designer to create DA plans and get DA approval and then send out for quotes yourself. I believe the person putting out the tender collects anywhere between 2 and 6% of the contract value .

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Your budget is quite nice.

I'm going slab down on a $560k house next week which is 4 x 3 which is 335sqm of construction (porch + garage + alfresco + all living areas). So if you could get it smaller than that you could be looking at a very nice house.

Number one rule = don't over capitalise. Just because it's your PPOR doesn't mean common sense should fly out the window. Make sure the end values still make some sense.

The demolition will need to be carefully done and it will cost some money to sort out the engineering and make good of the other half of the duplex. Not all builders will want to deal with this - but good builders should be willing to take it on in a package deal.

The other option might be to go to a building broker. They often design then tender for you.

Colin Rice, Propin and Perthguy like this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I got a rough quote last week for double storey $370-400k. 270-300sqm. 4x2x2plus study and theatre, decent veranda. Ext acrylic render, double brick, kitchen standard 900 appliances. Glass splash back, fridge plumbed, laminate floor, 90% wool carpet, internal paint. Seems reasonable.

HA - DEC at Belmont

Last edited: 17th Dec, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  9. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Thanks for the input & advice everyone - all very useful!
    Good to have those ballparks too for some sort of bearing! Is your quotes for just the building or includes everything incl demo and site works and landscape etc?

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Mine is turnkey but doesn't include demolition. It's a high end location with end values around $1.2m

Colin Rice likes this.
  11. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I like Plunkett. A building broker is good - but stay away from the cheapest and also be aware of who the broker does represent and who the broker does not represent.

If your builder goes into liquidation 4 months from completion it will suck - insurance policy or not.

Colin Rice likes this.
  12. Zibbiddy

Zibbiddy New Member

Hi, did you ever build with Ha-Dec or find anything more out about them? I've got a friend who is considering using them, it's near impossible to find reviews.

13. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Danmar, as already mentioned seem to have a decent reputation. I used a building broker in the past and was satisfied with the outcome.

14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Hi, no I didn’t end up going with them. The RE Agent that put me onto them changed jobs and began working in sales for a development company. She advised me her new company had better builders, which was a bit bias! I didn’t feel confident anyway! I ended up signing with another building company for another block as soon as the grants were announced but after spending a few thousand on designs and survey we still had not gotten DA 9 months later so I pulled out as I’d lost all confidence in them. I would chose very carefully in this market!

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2021
  15. Zibbiddy

Zibbiddy New Member

Having no reviews anywhere on Ha-dec makes me suspicious, on facebook, the google reviews seem to be people that would be doing business with them.

Propin likes this.