Perth Planning News Thread

Discussion in 'Development' started by theperthurbanist, 8th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

This policy is so crap I dont know where to begin - but I'll start

1) non-continuity of terminology. 'Driveway' and 'Access Leg' do not mean the same thing (4.7.2)
    2) so - 5% or less variation can include truncation area - more than 5% can't? it's the same issue surrounding the difficulty of utilising a corner lot. This is not orderly and proper planning - is like the pre 92/post 92 R20 grandfather clause. (4.2.3)
    3) Clause 4.8.2 (i) is inconsistent with the Dividing Fences Act and the R Codes.
    4) No mention of the RMD provisions whatsoever.

i could go on but this is just fiddling for people to keep themselves in a job.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Aaron Sice

DC2.6 for Road Networks and VPD calcs - June 1998 :eek:

1.22.JPG

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

New R-Codes Checklist and Practice Notes

15 May 2017

The Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) outline standards for residential development in Western Australia. They form the basis for the design and assessment of most residential development in Western Australia.

The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) has released new

R-Codes practice notes<http://departmentofplanning.cmail20.com/t/r-i-yudtutn-l-r/> and an assessment checklist<http://departmentofplanning.cmail20.com/t/r-i-yudtutn-l-y/> to assist designers, applicants, assessors and decision-makers involved in residential development.

The R-Codes Practice Notes address the most common technical matters that arise in the interpretation and implementation of R-Codes ‘deemed-to-comply’ standards.

The checklist outlines all matters to be considered in the assessment of residential development applications. Use of the checklist by applicants and decision-makers will support consistent, accurate and faster residential development determinations.

The checklist and practice notes can be viewed on the Department of Planning website<http://departmentofplanning.cmail20.com/t/r-i-yudtutn-l-j/>.

4. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

5. Westminster

Lol, the proposed structure plan was pretty adventurous for such a conservative area so I think if approved WAPC will take on board some of the requested (sensible!) modifications from City of Bayswater.
    It's a great pocket and it really does need some revitalisation around the train station.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

There has always been a disconnect between DC 2.2 (access leg) and the RCodes (driveway). It is problematic to try to use a policy (that was written as a guide to assessing development) to assess the subdivision of land.

7. Aaron Sice

Trouble is some knob at Local Govt will interpret 'driveway' as paved area and 'access' as the width.

So a minimum of 4m driveway with a 3m access leg means a 4m driveway minimum, plus 0.5m at the boundary.

That's the risk-averse nature of what we are dealing with with poor terminology choices.

8. Perthguy

Pretty much. DC 2.2 allows a 3 metre access leg and it's hard to fit a 4 metre driveway in that! :rolleyes:

zac101 likes this.
  9. Aaron Sice

exactly, therefore the minimum width is 4m not 3m.

remember, think like a graduate working for local government.

zac101 and Westminster like this.
  10. Westminster

Perthguy and Propin like this.
  11. DoubleD

DoubleD Well-Known Member

12. Westminster

Not In My Back Yard - people who are happy for infill and density as long as it's not next to them :p

13. Aaron Sice

They probably think they're the next south karrinyup.

14. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Haha, some of that bounded area is locally known as South Duncraig so there's def some truth in that!

15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Lol, I heard Carine fought hard against rezoning and won. South Duncraig is the next best thing. Also bordering South Padbury.

Skuttles likes this.
  16. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

I generally only target Southern Suburbs, North of the River.

Sasim, Aaron Sice, Skuttles and 3 others like this.
  17. theperthurbanist

DoPLaH Land Use and Employment Survey

The Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage conducts the Land Use and Employment Survey to gain a greater understanding of the land use and employment dynamics across the Perth metropolitan and Peel region and selected regional centres. The survey is of all commercial, industrial, public purpose and recreation/open space land uses.

---

May (or may not) be of some interest to people looking at the demographics and employment of an area. Personally, I would be more interested in tracking these and looking at the trend/change over time in some of the parameters recorded.

Big Daddy likes this.
  18. theperthurbanist

DC2.2 – Residential Subdivision has been released.

The WAPC has just released the final revised version of DC2.2 – Residential Subdivision, with some surprising modifications/additions to the previously advertised draft, to supposedly "provide further clarity" around subdivision design and discretion in varying minimum and average lot size requirements. View the final policy here: https://www.planning.wa.gov.au/publications/10105.aspx

Westminster, Perthguy and Big Daddy like this.
  19. Perthguy

Is that gazetted? Does it even get gazetted?

20. Aaron Sice

So glad they cleaned up the battleaxe terminology. Was a sticking point for me. Surprised they listened this time, last time they didn't!

4.2.4 - 5% variation is now unclear. First and third point contradicts R Codes P1.2 5.1.1 Site Area. (because it's not an and/or)

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2017