Perth Planning News Thread

Discussion in 'Development' started by theperthurbanist, 8th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Direct train from Morley to the city, why lol? pollies and exaggerated promises

2. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

"rangers [...] will instruct residents with verges made up of more than 50 per cent hard surface to have them replaced."​

I agree! But a consistent approach is needed.

"Further battles have erupted in Perth's verge 'turf wars', with one council set to rip up verge gardens and trees in favour of concrete"
    I don't agree! Trees and low growing gardens are better than hard stand and/or dead or dying turf/weeds.

Verging on madness: more battles rage in Perth's 'turf wars'

I had no idea verge gardens were so controversial! Check out this story. That's heartbreaking :(

Wembley couple's garden dream crushed for the last time

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh, so that's the cheaper version! It makes more sense to have them connected 'and' have the service many years quicker, Libullshit

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a bit of a gardener these days so I've read these stories and spoken to the owners of the verge garden. Crazy! There's an older lady a few streets away from me that grows herbs on her verge with a sign that you are welcome to take what you need. Council tried to get her to clear too. So many people protested that it got saved. So handy to get kids to grab a few herbs when your cooking or do a drive by. I don't get these councils that it's ok to have weedy feral lawns/dead lawn/pea gravel but nicer options are not ok.

theperthurbanist and Perthguy like this.
  6. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Finbar are refunding deposits on their South Perth development.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  7. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I can't see all the link but just wow. I thought after all that fighting it would go ahead.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Aaron Sice

Well, the bottom isn't in yet, clearly. I still call May.

charttv and Perthguy like this.
  10. theperthurbanist

From UDIA:
    Perth and Peel sub-regional planning frameworks – Update
    The UDIA understands that the sub-regional planning frameworks included as part of the Perth and Peel @ 3.5million suite of document, were to be considered by the WAPC at its meeting today and it is expected that the new Minister for Transport, Planning and Lands, the Hon Rita Saffioti will be briefed on the detail of the frameworks in the near future. The new Minister will no doubt want to review the frameworks in the context of Metronet, however the UDIA understands that the new government does not have a radically different position to that which has been proposed previously in relation to the strategic planning for Perth and Peel. In fact the new Minister has been quite clear on the need for integrated transport and land use planning in previous presentations.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Westminster

12. theperthurbanist

Work has let me take one of the days - I chose the Study Tour - Northern Neighbourhoods :)

How about you @Westminster ?

13. Westminster

I'm trying to - just got to work out schedule and stuff. Might be sharing a ticket :)
    I'm going to the gala dinner which will be interesting - I'm on the James Hardie table.

Perthguy and theperthurbanist like this.
  14. theperthurbanist

The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) is seeking public comment on changes to the Development Control Policy 2.2 – Residential Subdivision (DC 2.2).

This policy sets out the WAPC’s requirements for landowners intending to subdivide residential land, and assists to create a diversity of lot and housing types throughout the State.

The proposed changes would introduce new criteria for average lot size variations greater than five per cent, including:

• land with a residential coding of R10 to R30
    • a corner lot with frontage to more than one road (excluding a regional road) or dedicated road/right-of-way access to both front and rear boundaries
    • compliance with the minimum frontage requirements specified in Table 1 of the R-Codes and is regular in shape
    • crossovers and driveways are provided in accordance with Australian Standard 2890 and the R-Codes
    • corner truncations are excluded from the calculation of the average lot size
    • the applicant has provided information that demonstrates the variation will have a beneficial outcome for the community.
    More details here: Draft Development Control Policy 2.2 - Residential Subdivision

iDex and Perthguy like this.
  15. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Thanks, just got it. Was speaking to a planner about it today and glad its now released

What is greater than 5%? 10% . 20%?
    I would assume if its only corner lots that are applicable and you meet min lot sizes then any % variation to bring it up to the avg size is fine

Last edited: 9th May, 2017
  16. Westminster

Interesting. Looks like they are implementing some of the stuff that was successful from their interim policy where they approved at min lot size for awhile.

17. Aaron Sice

unsure of the need for change, especially with varying the lot area sizes and corner truncation allowances.

seems like a fiddle around the edges for fiddling's sake. if they really want to make an impact they should review the traffic requirements under DC2.6 - road width and planning are still based on 1997 calcs of ten (yep 10) vehicle movements per day per dwelling.

So much nope I don't know where to begin.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

would these land changes make it better or worse overall for developers?

19. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

So WA Govt gets about $1.6 billion dollar for Metronet.....That's a big news.

theperthurbanist likes this.
  20. theperthurbanist

I think it was $1.6 billion for road and rail projects, with $792 million to Metronet.
    Still a good start though!