Perth Planning News Thread

Discussion in 'Development' started by theperthurbanist, 8th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Rezoning jobs boost for Kenwick and Wattle Grove
    Friday, 14 October 2016
    • Land in Kenwick and Wattle Grove freed up for industrial development
    • Industrial centre close to Perth Airport and major freight access routes
    • Potential to bring more jobs to the area to service growing population

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

warning: vent!

What is with City of Armadale not being able to and not going to consider RMD codes for new large subdivisions?!?!?

"With the changes to the regulations there is no longer a statutory mechanism for the introduction of RMD codes via Structure Plans. While we were aware of this most local authorities have introduced policies to allow for their use. The City has advised however that they have no plans to introduce a policy for their use, so their use is not likely to be supported."

So that means normal rcodes and a DAP required.

@Aaron Sice did this happen to Handle too?

3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

No. We were required to write DAPs that incorporated RMDs. We had specific meetings with senior planners that formed the RMD panel to ensure the sub plan was compliant and allowed for RMDs.

This is big news if they are 100% backflipping. Im unsure why they would but David @ TBB would have the low down more-so than I would.

4. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

That moment when you're putting together a concept for a client and the local planning policy states that development must comply with a WAPC bulletin dated July 1999. Yeh, because nothing's changed in 17 years. :confused:

5. theperthurbanist

Ridiculous. Where was that statement taken from @Westminster ? Council meeting minutes?

I'll have a chat with David and get the low-down. If they are still willing to support the R-Code variations established by the RMD Codes then it isn't the end of the world, just another layer of approval and enforcement for everyone involved. Just adopt the bloody RMD Codes to apply to development areas as a local planning policy. Problem solved.

LifesGood likes this.
  6. theperthurbanist

Is that like citing a clause from a town planning scheme that was gazetted over 30 years ago?! (#nedlands) Ok so maybe they've done a few (200!) amendments in that time...

LifesGood likes this.
  7. theperthurbanist

I'm not even sure it is a 'backflip' so much as the Council taking a while to realise what was going on (RMD Codes being implemented through LSPs) and then taking a stance to stop this continuing in the future.

All LSPs or DAP/LDPs that introduced the RDM Code provisions will still stand (LSPs for 10 years), you just cant implement the codes through new LSPs. So it sounds like LDPs will be the way to have them implemented going forward. Typically the WAPC is pretty supportive of appropriately located LDPs that enforce ALL of the RMD Code provisions, however not all councils like all of the RMD provisions so now some are cherry picking the ones they want/will allow to be implemented. Which is exactly the opposite of what was intended by the implementation of a 'state-wide' variation to R-Code provisions.

I could be wrong but from a quick chat with Dave it sounds like the Handle site had the RMD Codes implemented through an LSP amendment, so they should be locked in for the foreseeable future.

8. Aaron Sice

God I hope it is locked away. Redesigned that entire estate at the 11th hour to suit RMDs. I remember it was an LSP amendment now!

So the LDP is the best way to secure RMDs - in that case there isnt a backflip at all. But considering the RMDs were implemented to remove the need for an LDP...!

9. theperthurbanist

... yep. Not exactly the broad sweeping success to streamline the industry that they were heralded as! Only one council I can think of (Rockinham) has actually implemented a Local Planning Policy to lock them in. I'm hoping it's early days yet but I think I might just be being optimistic. Still, there's always a chance they'll just incorporate them into the R-Codes when they do the more 'major' overhaul.

Westminster likes this.
  10. Aaron Sice

Well DesignWA is set to shake a few feathers so lets just wait and see. Cant wait to see the City of Stirlings reaction to not being able to plan by numbers anymore.

11. theperthurbanist

Yep. For those who haven't heard the news:

Draft Design WA - Design of the Built Environment, Now Released
    Planning Minister, Donna Faragher has this morning released Design WA, a suite of policy documents which seek to elevate the importance of design in planning, integrating early design review and encouraging stronger design skills.

The four draft documents which comprise Design WA, include:
    • draft State Planning Policy 7: Design of the Built Environment - provides the broad framework for design of the built environment across Western Australia. It applies to all levels of the planning hierarchy — structure planning, subdivision,major public works and development applications. It also includes guidance for development that may impact on the public realm but not require planning approval.
    • draft Apartment Design Policy - This policy provides planning and design standards for residential apartments (defined as all ‘multiple-dwelling development’) that can be applied with consistency across Western Australia.
    • draft Design Review Guide - This guide sets a best-practice model for the establishment of new design review panels offering practical advice on how to establish and operate a panel and to encourage consistency, as existing design review processes evolve.
    • draft Design Skills Discussion Paper - Options to implement the Design Skills element of draft SPP 7, including consideration of the requirement for the use of registered architects or accredited designers, consistent with the intent of part 3.11 (c) of the Planning Reform Phase 2 blueprint, are explored in this discussion paper.
    Public consultation closes at 5pm on Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Design WA draft documents accessible here

Westminster likes this.
  12. Westminster

That is my issue :)
    I thought specifying it in Structure Plan would be the way to go so that there was no need to jump through a LDP/DAP that basically asks to supplement normal R codes with the same allowances as RMD codes.
    It's a head fock

13. Westminster

Information on the latest draft and open for comment City of Vincent Planning Reform - landscape policy is quite a major change
    City of Vincent : Planning Reform

14. Aaron Sice

Rockingham require it as part of the structure plan with an LDP to sort acces and BALs.

15. Aaron Sice

I think the DesignWA provisions are going to be just as harsh.

Westminster likes this.
  16. theperthurbanist

Have you had a read yet @Aaron Sice ? I haven't had a chance, and probably won't until next week sometime, but I'm itching to see how they stack up.

17. Aaron Sice

Things are going to change pretty wildly for the industry as a whole. Its stuff Ive been prattling on about for years at REIWA and in my line of work but good to see the right people are applying and formulating this stuff.

What worries me the most is the skills qualifier and how grey it is. Watch the builders in this state have it squashed pretty quickly....or form their own 'industry recognised' group to allow them to continue the same old sheet.

18. ZAO

ZAO Member

G'day everyone
    I'm new here..Just have a general question regarding Perth builders. I have a little project where I want to develop four 3x2 units.. I need to find a good efficient builder for this..Any recommendations?
    Regards
    Zao

LifesGood likes this.
  19. theperthurbanist

Hi @ZAO , welcome to the forum!

It could be worth starting a new thread for this (in say the Development forum) as more people may see that than just those looking in this thread. Also worth searching the archives (and/or Sommersoft) if you haven't already. Good luck!

ZAO likes this.
  20. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Welcome @ZAO ! You will find a lot of options in Perth for your project. Many people on here have done similar projects so as @theperthurbanist mentioned, it is definitely worth starting a thread with details of your project. You will need to determine whether you need plans drawn first or whether you should approach a builder directly. There are pros and cons for both. Best of luck!

ZAO likes this.