[Perth] Offer accepted on 2b unit however plans for a 6 storey nursing home across the road

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by sullo, 5th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sullo

sullo Active Member

I am wondering if you would go ahead with the purchase of a unit that has a 6 storey nursing home going up across the road and the entrance is right outside your property?

I'm about to go through with the purchase of a 2b unit on the first floor of a 2 story building. It looks directly onto salvado road. Across the road is a development site that has a 6 storey nursing home approved to be built. The entrance is directly outside my unit.

I'm worried this will be a bad choice. I've driven past hospitals here in Perth and always see people lurking around smoking etc. Not something I want outside my place. Personally, I don't mind living across the road from this but i am worried that it may impact the value of my unit.

Landscape design
    https://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/fil...7-allison-drive-jolimont-landscape-design.pdf

Development plans
    https://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/files/assets/public/documents-and-files/development-amp-sustainability/planning/current-advertised-applications/2020-june/185-salvado-road-and-7-allison-drive-jolimont-development-plans.pdf

The unit is directly across the road from the entrance of this development on salvado road.

Any advice appreciated

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Thats one massive file (plans).

I would argue its quieter than blocks of resi units which may be the alternative. And appearance wise it may be moreappealing too as the site has diverse use and space. Residents wont be noisy !! Fewer cars (maybe staff ?) and they may be shift hours. Visiors ? Amenities for that ?, residents dont come and go much. Depends on what level of care. Palliative ? Dementia ? Low care ? To me it looks like "RAC" = residential aged care rather a "hospital" facility

The public link aspects seem to make it very open and less like a single block as you suggest. Its like a small community space. Page 8 of the landscape plan seems to incorporate well with surrounds.

The apparent drive through opposite you shouldnt pose a major source of "traffic" or noise. Rear access may be staff etc through the service access.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

This was my initial thought.

I mean we're talking about a main road and an area with lots of different potential high intensity uses.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The design seems very high quality and does not impose on the streetscape with a tiered effect and this applies to each side. And no rowdy balcony parties and smoking or balconys with clothes hanging out. The rear service access will mean that the front entry ramp is for very limited use. (taxi, ambulance, quick drop off and not much more - No parking there.)

5. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

I'm going to endorse Paul's comments.
    The proposed development looks to be first class and will be an asset to the neighborhood.
    Its going to need a lot of shiftwork employees as well, which IMHO underwrites the future potential of your unit as a rental property should you choose to upgrade to a bigger place as your life needs change. In fact I'd say you could do a lot worse than make your next investment another unit in the same complex :)

6. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

I know the area very well, have a property nearby and also a relative very close. The proposed developments are high quality and I believe they will lift the value of the land on the opposite side of the road which are predominantly 80s/90s single level villas.

Of course, it depends on how much you paid for your unit.

Also, beware traffic and parking is a nightmare during netball season.