WA Perth - Northern Corridor

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Scott Townsend, 22nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott Townsend

Scott Townsend Well-Known Member

Hey Team!

Curious to hear some opinions on Perths Northern corridor - In Particular Coastal side of Marmion within 1-2km from beach. Since my career change from Builder to Sales Reperasentitive for Home and Land packages, I have been gaining knowledge on a lot of development sites/Estates in the Northern corridor.

I've always been one to mainly invest in existing property but with land developers slashing prices and a lot of competition between builders it seems there are a lot of very cheap packages available.

Now is not the best time for great rental yield, but looking historically at what coastal property has done it seems like a given that for a longer term (5 years +) picking up a 4x2 for around $350-400k should be a safe investment.

I'm talking around the Jindalee/Yanchep area 45 min from Perth CBD but I personally feel 2 rocks is starting to get a little far.
    I feel being North 45min aposed to south is a better option with Joondalup being the nearest major area and having a better flowing freeway than south.
    Would love to hear thoughts from other Perth investors

Scott

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Most new estates in the north corridor have had stagnant or negative returns in the past 5 years.

There's too much supply and no money.

The easiest way to generate equity and yield is in the more coastal Joondalup HOA's like Whitfords / Kallaroo and finding those R40 and R60 sites advertised as a single in new estates with the mind for two or three dwellings.

@sash did reasonably well in a buy up a few years back but it was doldrums then....so maybe wait a bit? Builders giving decent discounts soon.

charttv likes this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Hey @Scott Townsend
    Personally I wouldn't go any further than Quinns - I like established communities, infrastructure and a decent commute without the risk of the ever spreading metro area.
    I do 'stuff' in Clarkson and Mindarie
    At the moment the incentives, the price drops and competitive builders do make sense if you can hang in for the CG. Always best to try and get some equity immediately though.

JohnPropChat and Blacky like this.
  4. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Yanchep is a nice suburb but hasn't got a whole lot going for it. Two rocks is simply too far. It's like Bouvard in the South - people pass through it or may be stop for a bit.

Quite a few blocks in Quinns with high density zoning but are asking too much at the moment. Burns beach has a new estate, I believe.

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

No thanks.

for the sort of money you're talking it's basically cottage blocks, or slightly bigger, with generic homes plonked on there. at some stage, arguably it's already happening now, people are going to realise how silly it is to live on such a small block in bloody eglinton or alkimos or wherever. agree that quinns etc is a better option if someone is looking in that south gero coastal market.

how is yanchep 45 mins from perth cbd? at 3am on a motorbike going way over the limit maybe.

it's true that joondalup is sufficient as a town centre for many people but even joondalup is nearly 30km from yanchep. as the job market in perth gets tougher, youre going to find some people who mightve been able to make things work living that far north are unable to do so anymore. eg, what happens if you lose your job and the best one you can get is in say cannington or bibra lake or midland or wherever? all of a sudden that dream property in Jindalee is something you start hating

Last edited: 22nd May, 2016
  6. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Yanchep is 45 mins from Perth CBD/ It takes me 15 mins from Yanchep golf course to get to intersection of Joondalup and Wanneroo drive.

Plus you now have the freeway going all the way through now to hester and pass that

Its okay to say Whitfords/kallaroo ect but not everyone has that money ? nor money to be doing subdivision and multi dwellings

I think id prefer to be 45mins north of CBD than 45 mins south of CBD with a worse freeway so i should say 35km north of cbd then 35 south of cbd

7. sanj

Yanchep is 60km from perth cbd. 45 mins at 3am; while speeding etc, maybe. I dont know how else anyone can average 80km/hr for the whole journey.

This isn't opinion, it is a straight up mathematical calculation. To do 60km in 45 mins means averaging 80km. When you vonsider traffic lights, traffic, speed limits etc it simply is not possible, especially at a time relevant to live ability like during the day or peak periods.

8. property world

Good Maps is your friend.

Yanchep golf course is 45mins from perth CBD in non peak time

9. sanj

Google maps is indeed my friend and google maps tells me that yanchep is 60km from perth cbd. Like i said above, you would need to average 80km/hr over the entire journey to make it in 45 mins, at what time is that possible?

10. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Just a shame that when it is peak time that 45mins turns into an hour and 45mins...

11. sanj

Or when you lose your licence for constantly speeding in order to get to perth in 45 mins.

Aaron Sice and Jamie_ like this.
  12. Westminster

I made it from Clarkson to Mirrabooka in 20 mins at 3.30pm and then 30 mins reverse heading north (4-4:30). I was pretty pleased with that considering the freeway has 60 and 80km zones on it due to roadworks.

The freeway doesn't go to Hester yet, probably still 2yrs of construction left on that. I still have a mental block to get past Mindarie/Clarkson.

13. property world

Like every where else the time doubles?

Probably when the train is required for a 35 min trip to Butler

14. sanj

Can u pls let me know how and at what time it is possible to legally travel the 60km from yanchep to perth cbd in 45 mins?

I believe from Yanchep to joondalup the speed limit is mainly 80 but drops at certain points and you woild have to average 80km for the entire trip to make it. Its physically not possible.

Also, ignoring peak or general daytime traffic is misleading as that is what will affect the actual viability of someone livinf up there.

Imagine buying a house in yanchep and then 6 months later your work moves from osborne park to say bibra lake. Youre talking 4 to 5 hours in your car per day if travelling during peak like most people have to. Thats up to 25 hours per weak travel just for choosing to live so far away. Lifestyle benefits of yanchep would fade away if the extra travel means no time to see your famoly and actually enjoy the supposed benefits of livinf in south gero.

It will certainly suit some but in this day and age of less job security, greater traffic jams at peak periods etc i believe more people will cometo regret it than in the past

thewisestfool, charttv and boeman like this.
  15. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

The only way I would go live up there would be if I were a residential tradesman, since the bulk of the work is there.

When I was supervising up there it was torture, since our office is in Osborne Park. I was doing about 80 000km a year.

PPOR there is plenty of places, especially now, sub $500k within 20km ok the CBD.

16. property world

I simply typed in Yanchep golf course to perth cbd. It states 45km. Yesterday in peak traffic it was considered to take 54 mins on google maps. For me the ETA on google maps is always slower then the actual time it takes, they're are conservative and no i have never had a speeding fine in my 8 years driving.

This is of course before the freeway is extended and Wanneroo lanes is increased as is being done now.

Anyway this is getting to the point where this discussion isnt doing anything good for anyone here.

As much as you could say that... I could say you buy a place in Baldivis and then your job moves from Bibra Lake to Joondalup/Wangara/Landsdale ?

17. sanj

Like you said no point goinf through that anymore, happy to agree to disagree.

As for your last point, absolutely, i consider baldivis to be a silly option too but ultimately yanchep is a coastal town outside the very edge of perth metro with a population of under 3000 and not much else around. The closest employment hub would be joondalup, 30km or so away and even joondalup is pretty limited in terms of industries. Opportunities in general will be extremely limited which is why yanchep woild make sense for only a small % of people and why i firmly believe for most it simply doesnt make sense.

Baldivis, for all its flaws, is in perth metro area, has a train station accessible nearby, is close to rockingham and surrounds which would provide some employment opportunities and is not comparable to yanchep as a proposition imo as there is a lot more infrastructure to support the area. Rockingham lga has around 100k people in it, baldivis has 15k or so. Yanchep has 3k.

Citycat88 and property world like this.
  18. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

I remember going on 'road trips' to Yanchep to go surfing not THAT long ago...!

Westminster likes this.
  19. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Yanchep may be 45 minutes in perfect conditions but it absolutely isn't close to that in peak hour conditions. For comparison, West Perth to South Perth is about a 30 minute trip in normal peak conditions.

From Subiaco to Northbridge is a 20 minute trip... I could only do CBD to Joondalup (measuring CBD as the city side of the narrows, so already on the freeway) in 35 minutes last week on Saturday morning.

I also remember family holidays to Yanchep which makes it amazing it's now part of the metro area and this is only 20 years ago!

20. Westminster

Yup going to see the caves at Yanchep, paddle boats on the lagoon and a trip to the water park - aquarium thing - what was that called. Got it Atlantis Marine Park. They were all day trips back in the 80s

[​IMG]

Sackie likes this.