WA Perth/Northbridge Apartments

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kuta Kintay, 7th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kuta Kintay

Kuta Kintay Member

Good afternoon all,

I purchased a block of land back back in 2007 - Yanchep/Two Rocks area. Value is down quite significantly, so worked two jobs to finally pay the thing off, discharged the mortgage and ready to start again (currently have no intention on building on block that far out).

Single Income $100k, Deposit $100k, UBank approved loan $315k, so budget is around $400-415k. I've been working in the city past 15 years, living solo, no pets, ideally looking for a PPOR where I can 5-10 min walk to work, leave the car at home and eat Sunday morning dumplings & bubble tea.

Around my work 2 bed, 2 bath apartments that were selling for $550k+ in 2015-2017, now seem to be around $400k mark. Now I watched the Four Corners episode and found out first hand in Strata/AGM Minutes regarding Water Ingress, Lift Replacements and Combustible Cladding (ongoing WA Audit) issues being common in Perth as well.

Would you run from any complexes encountering these kind of issues above? Starting to think older, no pool/gym, no lift, no basement parking, might be safer buying and help me sleep at night?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would be wary as yes there are buildings in Perth that definitely have the cladding issue and will cost a lot to fix.

What about a townhouse instead. Something like this? 19/58 Clotilde Street, Mount Lawley, WA 6050

KateSydney likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I have one first floor apartment in Osborne park as IP. And I always get complaints from either the neighbours or from my tenants about the noise and being not able to sleep. So, good luck with getting good sleep in an apartment. ;);). Town house will be way better, i think. very good if it is at the end of the long driveway.

4. Kuta Kintay

Kuta Kintay Member

Thanks and appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately the Mt Lawley property went under offer the next day and is an approx 28 min walk to work - sub 15 mins would be ideal.

How would this property be.. still prone to usual noise and issues?

7/296 Newcastle Street, Perth, WA 6000

No lift, pool, gym or underground parking etc. 10min walk to work. Seems to be near my $400k budget

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I think you could do a lot better.

6. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    No window in to the Master bedroom? o_O

7. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

If you can get your loan approval limit higher I think you will have much more better options.

Is there any reason why you're on $100k income but only got approval of $315k?

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

9. Kuta Kintay

Kuta Kintay Member

Thanks for all the replies. The property has actually also went under offer shortly after listing and prior to auction.

Not sure if it is due to spring time or low stock, but seen a lot more people out and about the past two weekends and particularly older, decent sized, 2 bed, 2 bath going under offer.

Yes I could get could up to $500k but trying to limit myself to $430k and below, to avoid paying stamp duty and try find some value in the market.

Cheers! I will try arrange a viewing of the 48 Mount Street property this weekend.

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Low stock

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia