WA Perth market 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Prash, 9th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

I reckon an R40 lot on a "duplex" lot with a character home in the middle of it - making it difficult to develop - is the way to go at the moment in Vic Park.

charttv likes this.
  2. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

What would your end goal be for something like this?
    To eventually knock down and split or just keep it with no specific intentions of what to do because a big block with older established house should appreciate better than avg lot sizes with a newer house anyway?

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Think outside the box. These are not the only options ;)

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

That's fine. I'm holding NRAS so I can wait . While I wait I get cash flow surpluses and use them to reduce a little bit of debt... and by the rime the NRAS runs out in @,8 years time the upswing should be underway on the West Coast

Kuna_Learner likes this.
  5. Anthony Brew

Yep, that is why I asked.
    I assume along with inability to subdivide when the house is in the middle that a GF would also likely not be an option.
    So I don't know other options besides renovation and eventually knocking it down to split it. I suppose if you can get an adjoining property maybe it would open up an option to possibly split 2 into 3 without having to knockdown the existing, but that would have a lot of ifs. Besides that I'm out of ideas.

6. Aaron Sice

A car doesn't have to reach a house. Always a possibility for another lot.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Luke_melb

Luke_melb Member

Thanks guys, that's interesting feedback and discussion. I just noticed also, there is data that indicates Vic Park house prices have increased by 8% in the last 12 months.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A car might not need to reach the rear lot but the rear lot does have to meet the size requirements for a block and if the house is in the middle then that might not be possible.

So for those playing along at home. You have a crossover and parking (carport or parking pad would be easiest) at the front (imagine to the side of the existing front garden) then a pedestrian access way that is 1.5m wide through to the remainder of the block at the rear.

@Aaron Sice suggestion is a good idea where you can't get 3m down the side of a house.

The reverse can also be true with a rear laneway if you need to provide parking for front house but you want to maximise available land for the rear project. Create a parking solution off laneway then pedestrian access to front house.

9. Anthony Brew

Thanks for the explanation.
    Although if you can't get the car down the back, how will you be able to build a house down the back? Don't you need car/truck access?

10. Aaron Sice

Bro - stay with me here.

You don't need a car to access your house. Your garage door is not your front door.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Westminster

Your builder will hate you but as long as there is 1.5m for a bobcat to get through to clear then it's doable. Concrete slab can use a pump to get concrete to the back, might need a crane for beams (or carry through), forklift will fit with brick pallets or just go timber framed :)

It's not ideal but as Aaron pointed out you will get a duplex lot at a single lot price so it might be feasible. You'll need to discount your end values as not having attached parking will make it inferior compared to something that does.

charttv and Perthguy like this.
  12. Aaron Sice

.....compared to having a garage out the rear of a 600m² lot and walking in the rain to your back door?

This strategy only works in certain areas because of what the regular market does anyway.

sanj likes this.
  13. Perthguy

Single bedroom dwelling is an option. I have seen some really innovative designs for single bedroom dwellings recently ;)

14. Perthguy

I have seen this done in the Scarborough area. There was a nice carport at the front with a landscaped walkway to a rear dwelling. The owners didn't have any issues with that arrangement.

Aaron Sice likes this.
  15. Aaron Sice

...!

SBD or not, you would surely build something uber-modern to take advantage of the "difference".

I've done a few like this now in Mt Hawthorn, South Perth, E Vic Park, Vic Park, Lathlain etc.

Perthguy and charttv like this.
  16. Aaron Sice

I was actually waiting for the City Beach re-zoning to occur a while ago - thinking this would be an awesome option with retaining the front house and creating a new "Extension" to the rear....

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Aaron Sice

I noticed the search function to Vic Park on RE.com.au has just crashed....

DoubleD and Perthguy like this.
  18. Perthguy

Yes, definitely!

19. Aaron Sice

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Westminster

Agreed in places with character homes there were no attached garages so it's quite normal to walk to the house - people's expectations on a new build is that it would be attached but it doesn't have to be. Some people won't be able to get over that and others will see it for the norm in the area.

Perthguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.