Perth - Light Pole Relocation likelihood? Costs?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Beachsnow, 15th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beachsnow

Beachsnow Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

See photo attached.

I have a light pole about 1.0m in from the corner of my lot and a verge tree in the centre of the lot.

Its R40 so I want to split it down the middle and add a new crossover between tree and light pole although there is only 4.1m available to do this. There is an existing crossover on the other side of the lot so the new one will make two. City of Vincent require 3.0m for a crossover.

Council want 1.0m offset from the tree and 0.5m from the light pole leaving 2.6m. I'm hoping to get a reduction on one or the other to squeeze it in but if not, i'm thinking it would be easier to move the light pole than try and have the tree removed. Does anyone know what the chances are to shift the pole and what costs and timeframe?

If it matters, the neigbour hates the light pole!

Attached Files:

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

The council should be able to give you those costs. My council told me $3000 for a tree and $5000 for a bus shelter. Thankfully they got rid of the bus stop as it was too close to two others. I caught them when they were planting the tree so I chose where to plant it although someone ran over all the trees on my verge and neighbours verge soon after.

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

A pole pole holding cable from street pole to property or a street power pole?

Moving one/installing one would not be cheap. They have been replacing power poles in my street. About 4 hours work and maybe 10 people with power turned off to the street

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Beachsnow

Its a street lamp, sounds expensive to me!

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if this helps, and is Brisbane, but we had to pay for our neighbour's power feed to be redirected to a new pole because it cut across our corner.

Didn't seem fair, but I don't get to make that call.

Cost to us was about $13k.

7. Beachsnow

Ouch, that is a nasty unexpected cost! Hopefully he gave you a carton of beer at least

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Nope...

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Thanks for the ding. I've moved trees and power poles but never a light pole.

My question to @Beachsnow is where do you want to move it to? You can't move it to the left really as then it's too close to the neighbours driveway and I doubt you can move it to closer to the tree as it would disturb the tree roots.

PS the 2 trees I have moved have been smaller than that so I'm not liking your options there much either

Stoffo likes this.
  10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Council tree guy might be your next stop.

When applying to have the tree removed outright you could propose to have council plant 2 new tree's (at your cost) in a local park/green zone to help offset the loss of this one.

This is what my council have had me do after far larger tree removal

11. Beachsnow

Thanks @Westminster, not too many options. I was hoping to shift it maybe a few hundred mm towards the neighbour.
    I’m thinking the easiest option is to try and get a the council to lax the 1.0m offset from tree a little.

Not sure how that will fly but it was a suggestion from council so maybe!

12. Beachsnow

thats definitely worth a try and would be the best option if accepted. How much did that cost you?

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

When I removed one tree I also replaced it with two - one at each house - and council stipulated they were to be mature 400ltr bag trees. They cost me around $1000 each.

BTW moving a power pole 1m was around $5000 but light poles have underground cabling etc that could incur more hassles than a power pole.

Stoffo likes this.
  14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes, they do like to have more advanced tree's planted.
    Only $400ea planted, local species, supplied by local council nursery, planted in a local green zone area by them

15. Beachsnow

Hey guys, a few months down the track after my post and I have the light pole issue sorted. I thought I'd give a quick update for future reference.

Western Power wanted approval for the relocation from City of Vincent and CoV wanted approval from WP. So there was a lot of back and forthing and with the confusion between the two I ended up drafting up a plan showing exactly where I wanted it moved and managed to get them both to tick it off.

The costs involved were a $500 WP application fee to have them look at my case and then once reviewed there was a design fee of $500 which I managed to get out of due to confusion between two of their departments. So poorly run down there.

Then finally a fee to install the new pole. They wanted a new one which will be an upgrade to LED and will also have a shield to stop light coming into the windows of peoples houses. Cost was $6800, so just over $7k which is better than the bracket on their website quoting $8-$15k.

Glad to get that hurdle out of the way.

Now to deal with the neighbour having the pole shifted onto their boundaryo_O

bonchovies, lixas4 and Westminster like this.