WA Perth is entering Boom cycle

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ald, 12th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

My goal is to accumulate Dev sites and build whilst market is slow and construction is cheaper and faster. I don't mind the small downside risk of a few percent drop (which may be less if you buy well close to city and amenities and good land component). If I can accumulate and build whilst the market is trending sideways for a while then I will accumulate a lot more development sites then i would if the market started to recover quickly. That's the plan anyway. Not sure if that's reality

devank, Ross Forrester and Perthguy like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just being devils advocate.....
    What about holding costs with this strategy?

3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

We have graphs of House and Units, so your Highgate Apartment will go into Units charts. But I get your point...

I treat the above graph as an index interpretation....more like the All Ords in shares. Basically median is just an index to see where we're at..

If you drill into micro level and look at a particular suburb such as Highgate, yes you will see that sporadic behavior in the charts..

However when the entire Perth is included, it irons our this sporadic view.. Perth is about little less than half of Sydney's sales volume..even that it's few thousands transactions per month...
    Say Perth's sales volume was 3000 x 12 = 36,000. If you remove all 25 Highgate sales volumes from Perth's 36,000 sales,it wouldn't provide any kinks in the charts..
    Now if you have 100 of similar Highgate suburbs, ie 2500 transactions in a year. Would this affect the Perth's median. I think if they were withdrawn/removed from entire Perth's listing it will definitely, but wont affect so much if they were included in Perth's median on month by month, year by year basis..

Perthguy and bob shovel like this.
  4. Big Daddy

Plan is to keep everything and only sell when the boom comes around (anytime in the next 30 years will do). I believe holding costs (after they are rented) are irrelevant as it will be cash flow positive( after rates ,insurance,maintenance, and using 10% vacancy and 10% PM fees) to the current low IR environment but his can change if IR increase. Cashflow from our incomes would be enough to cover large IR increases. I would be looking to diversify into other markets as time goes on.

Sonamic, Perthguy and charttv like this.
  5. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Their is a cost associated with cashflow properties - you lose flexibility with your finances and you lose the opportunity to invest elsewhere.

Their is nothing wrong with getting cashflow positive and holding - but if it is only marginally positive and does not increase in value you have wasted your time.

MTR and Big Daddy like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed - everything has it's opportunity cost but if you have done your accumulation phase and into the holding phase it's a calculated decision if you want to keep your stock or sell and buy different stock.

Perthguy and RetireRich101 like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed - statistics are useful for a high level macro look . When you want to go micro then the story can be quite different - I didn't mean that Highgate skewed Perth's figures just that it highlights how medians can be pushed around in statistics due to the product of the area.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have a better idea, buy new stock from a developer who is offloading/fire sale, I am sure there will or have been some distressed developers in this market. It will require patience but when you consider the risk, time frame, sourcing finance etc. this would be a far easier option.

I know someone who actually did this and purchased 3 townhouses/fire sale some time back not in the Perth market.

Big Daddy likes this.
  9. Big Daddy

Thanks. I was considering this but was looking at apartments and not townhouses. Townhouses would be a better option

MTR likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You are right this would be far easier, quicker and less risky. Only problem in my area is that I have identified an under supply in the market. I can't buy distressed of this type of product because no one us building it, hence the under supply. If I go to an area where there are distressed sales, there is most likely an oversupply of that product. It's a conundrum for sure.

Westminster and MTR like this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, if you can buy at a price and get a tenant at a rate that means it can carry itself, then it would hardly be a silly thing. When I have looked, nothing cheap in areas I have seen, you would think it was all 50-60% off, but the negativity is probably more in the tenancy issue. Could be free and a bad deal if never rented.

I prefer to go for things in buyers markets, Bris is pretty good too, even if no boom, slow steady growth and can find returns that are pretty good, those that bought 2-5 years ago would already be up quite a bit.

bob shovel, Perthguy and ellejay like this.
  12. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Newcastle is going gang busters still and I reckon there is still about one year of steep rises here. There should be 30% growth here in suburbs close to the cbd over the next year.

I was very surprised the RBA kept rates on hold.

Cactus likes this.
  13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Wowza..W.A down 3.8% for the quarter

14. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yeah rents are still dropping too... I count myself lucky to renegotiate a 12% drop with my current tenants for a 12-month renewal. PM says vacancies are around 8-weeks. (Bull-Creek/Leeming area)

15. ooneil

ooneil Member

Out of interest what makes you think that?

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I was there recently and it is hot. My parents sold there's without any advertising and my grandfathers also sold very quickly. Both in Kingston - I looked at buying my granddads but the numbers didn't work. Yields aren't great in Kingston, I'd be looking in the northern suburbs or Launceston for that. Also not cheap enough for my liking - I treat Tassie as a regional purchase so want the buy in to be low.

Now, back to Perth :)

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2016
    Westminster likes this.
  17. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Lets hope that -3.8% is the nadir for W.A

Jess Peletier likes this.
  18. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

As an East Coaster just wondering what to look out for when making offers in Perth/WA? cooling off periods, going unconditional etc. Personal strategy is trying to go the borderless approach but as each state has their own way of doing things - does my head in...

thanks in advance

19. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We use an offer and acceptance with no cooling off. You can have the normal conditions - finance and building and pest - and anything else you need, and can get out with no penalty under these conditions. If you're struggling to settle on time you have 3 days leeway without penalty.

RyanB, Hwangers, Tranquilo and 2 others like this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

There is no cooling off period in WA.

You typically would make an offer on a standard REIWA offer and acceptance form. You would usually make the offer subject to finance and subject to building and pest. You can also nominate days for finance approval and days for settlement after going unconditional for example 21/21. If all that is acceptable the seller will communicate the offer is accepted in writing. Then you organise the building and pest and arrange finance. After finance approval you arrange settlement through a settlement agent. The day or so before settlement you should do a final inspection or pay someone to do it for you. It is important not skip this step.

In each state there is a state government web site with a guide for buyers. It's probably good to familiarise yourself with the steps then ask specific questions to fill in any gaps in your understanding. I say this because I only settled a house in Perth in July but I am sure I have missed some steps.

Hwangers and Tranquilo like this.