WA Perth IP - around 1 million

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by New271016, 20th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. New271016

New271016 Member

Hi... For a budget of up to 1 million (but no need to stretch to that limit) for a Perth investment property, any thoughts? I've thought of your buy/rent/hold in the inner city suburbs (but they are quite pricey in these areas especially for a house...) as a "safer" option. I've also thought maybe two smaller units or houses in outer suburbs. Wondering if anyone had any ideas?

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Best to buy land with the ability to add dwellings via future sub division potential.

Land increase in value and dwellings decrease in value over time.

Not advice just something to ponder.

3. New271016

New271016 Member

I've been looking at that too. Eg, house on a sub-divisible land. But am discovering my budget isn't quite enough. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong suburbs (inner city).

Colin Rice likes this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

May pay to engage an expert to assist you, aka buyers agent

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It depends a lot on what you're hoping to achieve, how hands on you want to be, what your servicing is going to look like long term.

Generally speaking though, assuming you're about average income and family situation, buying to subdivide is a good way to get bang for your buck, add value and reduce debt if necessary. It also can be a good way to recycle any PPOR debt you may have, if you were to sell off a block for eg, reduce your PPOR loan and then reuse the cash to buy another, rinse and repeat.

Sackie likes this.
  7. New271016

New271016 Member

I started looking at established homes in suburbs like Wembley and surrounds. Will take a look at the Bedford link, thanks.

The traditional buy/rent/hold is easy to do. Over east, I'd go townhouse or apartment but I get the impression Perth is less inclined towards apartment living and more towards house in suburb. That sound about right?

I looked at subdivision too but honestly I haven't seen too much value in those that I found for sale. The market looks like it's moved.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Would you look outside of Perth? You could consider using a BA. Regarding the subdivision, there's no need to rush - it's just something to have as an option if/when servicing gets tight. That point is a lot closer for most people than they think! :) Depending on your income and family situation, it may/may not be an issue.