Perth - Fence replacement - colour - what do you do if can’t agree with neighbour on colour?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Propin, 2nd Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Unfortunately my rental property backyard backs onto two different properties and it appears the whole street block is in this situation. I need to replace some asbestos fencing urgently due to back neighbours dog jumping up and breaking it completely. He says he’s open to colours although the rest of his yard is in light green. (About 1/3 of my back fence). The other neighbour behind me wants light green. (2/3, but she only wants to do about 4 metres of it and leave the rest asbestos).The fence has chips out of it, not as urgent but not great being asbestos. I’m not keen on going 80’s/90’s green. From a design perspective you want your plants to stand out against a fence, not blend in. My neighbour who is flexible thinks we should just go green rather than me end up with two different colours eventually. I can’t imagine the whole block of neighbours wanting to go light green, so there will be issues in the future anyway. Also my property has bore water that stains, so light colour isn’t good. How do you sort these issues? One fencing guy said you could paint one side but I’m not that keen. I think Grey that I want is more modern and neutral compared to green. 4D93FEFB-0841-4202-9534-D4EF7071410C.png

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Definitely grey. How to get everyone on board?

I'd push to have the asbestos replaced, and if they can't agree with you on colours, I'd just do whatever colour they want. Maybe agree to their colour if they replace the asbestos without making a fuss of it. Life is too short.

When you come to sell just spray paint your side. Meanwhile, you don't have to look at it. ;)

3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I just have mine being replaced. I just leave it to my neighbour. Is your neighbour reasonable? Easiest way is to talk it out.

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

They are both reasonable I think. I have spoken to them both by phone and text. One that is less urgent to getting fence replaced agreed to Grey then once I organised quote she’s trying to talk me into green. I might try talking to her again.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If she agreed to grey, and now talking green, I'd show her the photos and try to talk her back around to grey. The grey really makes the plants "pop".

craigc and Propin like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

One option is to pay for the whole lot then you get to chose the colour :)

But yes grey is the way to go. Woodland Grey is a greeny grey if that helps the case?

7. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

What is with oldies choosing green fences, so many nicer colours :confused:. Tell them to buy your paint brushes :p
    2EB247EC-D3C5-46B5-8A30-511C1FBE39B3.jpeg

spoon likes this.
  8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Maybe your neighbour and my neighbour had been talking. Funny my retirees neighbour also switched from Grey to Green. Are you sure our neigbhours are not friends?

9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes that’s why I chose the Greeny Grey, one of the backyards is asbestos on three sides with faded painted Pale Eucalyptus. Their front yard has a colorbond Pale Eucalyptus between the two neighbours backing onto me. So if they end up doing the back fencing in the future it should blend better. (I’ve already included the pluses in my draft letter). They both need retaining. Nah I don’t want to pay for it all.

How’d you know she was well into her retirement???!! I’m trying to find a nicer way to say, “No way, that colour is disgusting!”. I think I’ve almost got the wording sorted more tastefully.

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Bassendean?? Or maybe it’s just an old people thing?

11. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Booragoon... Maybe for retirees in the "B" suburbs? :D

Propin likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Here's an idea, bang it in whatever colour is preferred and paint the dissenting side at their cost.

13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s an idea. I would think the painted side would end up being lesser quality than powder coated. I’ll see if I can find out off a girl who painted her creme colorbond grey if it’s holding up ok. I guess it would depend on prep and paint also. Painting a powder coated fence

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Powdercoat & Colorbond are two different beasts & their application are totally different.

Dividing fences (sheet metal panels) are Colorbond or variants.,decorative fences eg front fence/pickets/screens are often powdercoated.

The link you posted is for powdercoat which gets affected by UV over time. I don't think the longevity of strong colours is any better today than it was when that post was made (2007).

Typical powdercoated fence

Typical Colorbond fence

15. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm pretty sure colorbond have released a product that can have different colors on each side, they called it the nasty neighbor series *jokes*

Angel, Scott No Mates and Propin like this.
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh cool, thanks!!

17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks I’ll look into it. Just waiting for another quote to come in.

18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My friend who painted her colorbond fence Grey showed me it’s perfect after a few years. Good to know!

19. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

Check out house_of_hollingsworth insta stories. She literally just painted colorbond after neighbours couldn’t agree. She goes through it step by step and results with grey are amazing.

Attached Files:

Propin likes this.
  20. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I just reread your comment without rushing through it, lol!
    Which forced me to Google for a laugh and discovered painting voids the warranty and considered not as high quality. Support - BlueScope Steel
    EE100E5E-A2ED-4EFB-9D1D-BE8812480A07.png

Colin Rice likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia