WA Perth - Dummies Guide

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by See Change, 22nd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

38215 likes this.
  2. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

Biting my tongue to not say 'told ya'... but I did. 14 Jan it was. Wish I had been wrong...

3. Matthew Hughes

Matthew Hughes Well-Known Member Business Member

I'm heading to Melbourne soon to meet with some clients. Let me know if you'd like to catch up to discuss some potentially better suburb options than those you have listed :)

4. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

What do people think of Lockridge and Beechboro in Perth?
    Seems undervalued to me based on surrounding suburbs, although it does look like a lot of growth in the last year so maybe some of it's already risen and there's more growth elsewhere.

I'm not ready to buy yet but just monitoring different markets.

5. Leftside

Leftside Active Member

Perth hills seems to be a bit under the radar so I just thought I’d mention it for anyone looking around Perth, especially from the east coast. Some areas are only 30 minutes from the City so you can still commute but these places are miles from the inner city/ suburban options in Perth. It’s a real lifestyle choice.

If you can handle not being close to the amazing beaches (the nearest one is about 40 mins) and you love nature then check out places like Darlington, Boya and Gooseberry Hill. I also like Bickley on the other side of the hill (very different vibe, more rolling hills/ vineyards than forest/ bush).

If someone was selling a house on the east coast for 1 or 1.5 million then they could afford a big house on a nice large block with views in the hills. I just had a quick look and here are a few examples. These aren’t particularly good examples, just what I found right now. Prices have definitely gone up in the last year or two – reiwa says prices have gone up 29% in the last twelve months and a local agent told me 25%.

34 Dalry Road, Darlington, WA 6070 - House for Sale - realestate.com.au

10 Sirdar Court, Gooseberry Hill, WA 6076 - House for Sale - realestate.com.au

3 Owen Road, Darlington, WA 6070 - House for Sale - realestate.com.au

16 Dalry Road, Darlington, WA 6070 - House for Sale - realestate.com.au

We moved here four years ago and will stay here until we are old. It was the best moved we’ve made. Some of the benefits are:
    - Large bush block with plenty of wildlife. Our property backs onto a national park and we get kangaroos sometimes and quendas everyday on our on block.
    - Community spirit. Darlington, in particular, has an actual village and a super strong sense of community.
    - Views of the city and the sun setting behind it each night
    - Lack of crime – we should probably lock our doors more often but it’s very safe
    - We can drive to the City centre in 30 mins (would take a bit more during peak hours)
    - Amazing hikes all around

Houses around Darlington, Glen Forrest and Boya tend to be quirky. As in old, unusual and they often look a little home-made. Some people may not like this but it’s a change from the cookie cutter homes that dominate Perth. And the big blocks with beautiful views are the best part.

The main negative is distance from the beach. Bushfires don’t personally worry me, it is so statistically unlikely but a lot of people feel differently. Most people would say that’s the biggest issue with living in the hills.

Anyway, just wanted to share. A couple of friends from the east coast have visited recently and they were blown away by what you can get in the hills for your money.

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Cheap flights from the east coast too! 90852B6A-6C40-4D00-B4CC-A79B9DB55CC6.png

edg and Justin_Z like this.
  7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love the Perth Hills but I wouldn't say that bushfires are "statistically unlikely". Let's say a patch of bush get burnt out by a big fire at least once every 50 years (probably much more frequent with climate change), and many areas in the hills are pretty much undefendable in the event of a seriously big fire. So if you live in one of those properties long enough it's more likely than not that at some point you'll be directly impacted by fire.

38215 likes this.
  8. Leftside

Leftside Active Member

@Rex Almost every summer there is a bushfire in the hills but it’s is usually 30 or 40kms away from us. The hills are a massive area and most fires are further out, at least an hour or more from Perth.

I believe that the chances of someone losing there home in a bushfire in the areas I mentioned is less than .01%. That’s a total guess but it’s based on my experience.

When we first arrived I remember asking a few people (especially older people who have been here all their life) about bushfires in recent years. No one could answer, they just talked about fires in other places. There was a fire in some Darlington bush in 2019 but it very small and didn’t affect anyone.

Some places far out like gidgeannup and woorooloo do have fires quite regularly. But I still strongly disagree with your last sentence. In the areas I mentioned, locals don’t know anyone affected by bushfire in living memory.

I do agree climate change will make it worse though.

9. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The one thing to watch out for Hills properties is that some of them can't be extended or knock down rebuilt as the bushfire zone is rated too high for new structures. Current houses are grand fathered in but new construction would struggle to be allowed

As a change of pace area with similar upsides I live in the Swan Valley (Great Northern Highway side) and it's very lovely here too. Great lifestyle location and easy to access just about everywhere thanks to Great Northern, Roe or Tonkin.

38215 likes this.
  11. edg

edg Member

McGowan wants the eastern state workers to get a one-way ticket...and stay :D

12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, good plan

13. Westminster

Once they see how great it is, they can use the return ticket to go home and pack up and move here :)

Propin likes this.
  14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

A bit of that vacant land is now up for sale. F28BC998-0B97-49A3-9DB6-58012431C48D.png

15. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Couldn't that have been from last week instead of this week? I flew over return from Sydney on Friday. Can't complain too much, 62,000 Velocity points to fly return Economy-X (I need the leg room). Qantas wanted nearly 200,000 points for the privilege.

16. Westminster

Is that the house on Hepburn Ave? Always has me curios why anyone would build 3 stories high when you have acres of land to have a large single storey house on it.

17. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Northern Beaches area (Joondaloop LGA) going well. My place has gone up steadily in 5k increments every few weeks since I bought it. So RP data is picking up that the market is steadily moving.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Beach side suburbs north and south are going up. Key is getting in at lower entry then watch it rise:)

38215 and Whitecat like this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes, I always get envious of all the parking space when I drive by. If they hold a home open I’m sure there will be quite a line up to sticky beak! 5 Lakefarm Retreat, Ballajura | House Proud Realty

20. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Morley seems to have a lot more houses for sale from mid 600s than when i was looking in feb. Walso getting a few in the 700s and the occasional one over 800.

Whitecat likes this.