Perth Builders / Tradies going under

Discussion in 'Development' started by hematite, 16th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Good to do your due diligence when selecting a builder or trade.

Vivian Plumbing is now under liquidation - will be fun getting some warranty service through the builder.

How do you protect yourself with dealing with small medium builders in an environment where firms are folding due to no work?

2. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I would have thought your warranty would be with the builder rather than the plumber?

3. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Yes, for sure. My builder usually just directs me to the trade he used. But they have closed down too (retired), so he is often quite slow in responding.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Worst case scenario is using the HIA contract insurance which can be used for rectification works and approved by insurer if your builder goes bust or refuses to rectify. This can be used during construction or afterwards.

It only covers up to $100k though and if you're mid build you can still be out of pocket if the actual builder goes bust.

If the trade goes bust then the builder should find you another trade to rectify the works

boeman likes this.
  5. M M

M M Member

What builders does everyone recommend in Perth? Had no dramas with , on time, quality finish etc.

Any feedback on red ink?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Depends what type of project? I am currently using 5 builders

My personal experience is that I would only go with a large project builder, like Red Ink etc, if I was building a single standard dwelling and had to meet a very specific price point.

I tend to build more complex builds as it's development stock so I use builders who are experienced in that field and I find their timeliness, finish and lack of drama are key to a successful project.

PS if you want to get some good quality feedback go read the Facebook Page called Perth Shonky Builders. You can't ask for reviews but go through the posts where people talk about their builders and you'll be steering clear of a lot of project builders in Perth.

Propin and JohnPropChat like this.
  7. Proprieta

Proprieta Member

I have used Ventura Homes for a number of small developments from 4-15 residences. I have found that each time I have achieved a good finish.

I do find that for all project builders you need to work with them over the journey to keep them on track and work through minor issues as you go.

So don't just sit back expecting it to be a smooth process, get involved and you will be happy with the final product and you always learn something new.

8. M M

M M Member

Thanks All.

Have chosen red ink fingers crossed it goes well.

All an interesting experience.

Hadn't checked Ventura but I'll certainly have a look next time.