WA Perth bottoming out?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Paterson00, 7th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Down-market just before up-market is different to down-market in general. Perth is neither, it is a falling-market.

As a rule, I would rather loose out on some profit than buy too soon and hope that a boom is around the corner.

3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Propin likes this.
  4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'm personally still sceptical about Perth bottoming out. Personally I'd like to see some serious recovery in the rental market first - which is what happened prior to the last boom.

MTR and Observer like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree. I am going to home opens every weekend. I do not see that prices have stopped falling. They seem like they are still going down to me.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

me too.

8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Me three.
    I've been eyeing a few development sites, and there are a lot which aren't making sense.
    A lot of 'council approved' development sites hitting the market, where it's clear the development numbers aren't stacking up.

Blacky

Littlemiss, MTR and Perthguy like this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Same with some conditionally approved subdivisions or survey strata sites. It's great they have conditional approval. It's not great that the numbers don't stack up.

Aaron Sice likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Distressed developers offloading, it will come back to how low can they go.

The other risk that is not mentioned is that we are doing the feaso on today's end values, the problem is in a declining market these figures may be too high on completion, especially if you need to sell

MTR:)

Observer and Blacky like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The election.....may put the floor in WA.....me thinks.....if the Libs win...

Shahin and Aaron Sice like this.
  12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Indeed - need to be very conservative with end values right now.
    The ones I have I have seen on market dont seem to be distressed sellers (yet). I think they have come to the realisation the numbers arent stacking up, so trying to take what profit they can now using the approvals to add the value.

Blacky

MTR likes this.
  13. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I'm also looking to buy in perth, but most likely not before mid 2017. I've set myself a goal to wait until then, review the market in mid 2017 and then make the decision whether to jump in or not.

However being a beginner and considering that i never bought before, could you point out some areas in perth that are worth keeping an eye on? My budget will be 550k so if you have any high growth areas in mind please share them with me.

14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yay; I've got an IP in Kal, and it could do with a new boom to lift the rents back up again...it's been pretty flat since the end of the last mining boom.

15. Paterson00

Paterson00 Well-Known Member

Why Perth would be my first question? And my second would be is that budget going to be for one property or two?

I don't know of any high growth area in Perth at the moment although Forrestfield seems to be the hot topic of the area but also, it has been for some time. It's because of the airport link. You may have missed that boat. I read that property has two jumps in price when rail lines go in. .. once when they are announced and another when they are completed so maybe that's a chance for you.

16. Paterson00

Paterson00 Well-Known Member

What are people's thoughts on the lithium hype at the moment? Do you think a boom is coming from that?

17. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Yay. Lithium. Its a pocket industry. Global Advanced Minerals have some of the purest belts of the stuff and refuse to mine it ... "we mine tantalum" .... same mob that put a $35m hole in the ground and let Atlas drive away their high grade ore (tails for tantalum).

If that's the calibre of mines in WA, then no wonder it all went belly up.

18. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Yes it should provide some employment but it wont scrape the iron ore boom for a couple of reasons. 1 is that even peak demand of Lithium if everything played out right wouldn't scratch the surface of iron ore and secondly that the infrastructure is largely in place for the mines already from the iron ore and in a lot of cases existing tin/tantalum/etc mines in the area.

We do have some world class resources in WA but a lot of them are going to be uneconomical with current technologies (we also have a few companies pioneering new methods to address this), basically we don't know how to mine most of our most lithium rich resources. Lithium becomes the real deal when BHP or Rio start to really target it.

19. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Surely any positive mindset into Perth is good right now.

If people were looking to buy FHOB - land than where would people be looking to buy?

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sales transaction down 40%
    rental vacancy at 6%

I just don't see the above making Perth an attractive proposition at the moment, the chances are we are still going to see hard times due to job losses, immigration down and the mining boom is over and we have not come close to finding a solution to replace this

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.