Permit Timeframe

Discussion in 'Development' started by Dennis Meyn, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dennis Meyn

Dennis Meyn Member

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurkers in this forum and being a newbie, I've learnt so much from this forum.

So to cut long story short, at the start of this year, we've decided to go down the path of multi-unit development for our PPOR in Melbourne South East suburb (Monash council).

Our journey hasn't been a smooth sailing so far..
    End of Jan 2015 - we engage an architect
    March 2015 - submitted the plan for 3-unit development to council
    May 2015 - architect had a meeting with council and while we have the support from council, they require some changes to the plan
    Mid June 2015 - architect submitted a revised plan to Council to get approval for advertising

While council confirmed that they have received the revised plan, they haven't "looked at it" until now. It has been a month and a half and I'm a bit worried.

Is this normal? How long do people generally wait to get to the advertisement stage?
    And assuming there are no issues during advertisement period, how long does it generally take to get the permit sorted?

Thank you.

2. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Yes it's normal. You're dealing with councils where timeframes don't matter to them.

All you can do is give them a nudge once in a while. It will take as long as it takes, each application is different. 6 months is considered to be normal if it's a straight forward development. Remember when you resubmit you are back to the end of the queue.

3. Dennis Meyn

Dennis Meyn Member

Thanks oc1. With the 6 months, is that from the time the application resubmitted until permit issued?

4. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

From the initial application. Most councils were inundated with applications due to the new planning scheme introduced. Many are still behind.

With yours, give them another nudge in a fortnight.

5. Dennis Meyn

Dennis Meyn Member

Thanks Oscar. Appreciate your help.

OC1 likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@OC1 they just don't care do they. .government workers just don't care, no incentive for them to be efficient. .it's really annoying but as you said all you can do is nudge them. ..sometimes I've even had to do their job for them to speed things up cos their so bloody slow.

OC1 likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What took your architect do long to revise the plans??
    Are you dealing with council or the architect?
    You need to find one or two people that are looking after it, fortnightly rdo's plus sickies, training it doesn't take much to lose a month. A second person can give you another set of excuses

8. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

It could well have taken 2 weeks for Council to actually put the concerns in writing. Then 10 days to make amendments.

9. Dennis Meyn

Dennis Meyn Member

I suspect my architect had a fair bit of backlog of his own. I would imagine it should only took a week max to revise the plan. But it turned into a month and a bit with some drama in between (architect said he already sent the revised plan to council but council hasn't received it and I had to ask the architect to resend it).

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

ahh yess..council's lovely standard line when they f$%k up.. "we have no receipt of the lodgement"....:mad: