Perhaps some Meaningful Property Charts??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 15th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Can you share you source of figures? Logan council itself unemployment figures dropped from 7.2% to 5.6% - that is a HUGE drop. That is the same as the national rate.

GDP and investment numbers are supporting strong growth for employment in SE QLD. Not to mention investments increased a significant amount.

Council grows investments and jobs in the city - Logan City Council

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Maybe many of the unemployed were put onto disability pensions instead. No idea if that is the case, but it has been done in the past to make the unemployment figures look better.

3. petewargent

petewargent Buyer's Agent

Excellent case of Council's cherry picking (notoriously unreliable) numbers. The annual avg unemployment rate for Logan-Beaudesert did decline from 7.2pc to 5.6pc, but then it increased again.

I reckon employment is probably a better indicator of health - annual avg employment declined quite horribly in the region from Feb-2011 before bottoming out in Oct-2015, but since then has been rebounding strongly, up 18pc over the last 18 months.

4. petewargent

-btw I assumed the data source quoted by the Council was Small Area Labour Markets (Department of Employment) up to March 2017 - this report tends to report very high unemployment for Logan Central (latest: 17.3pc), but much lower across the region.

-the most up to date figures I know of are the ABS Detailed Labour Force, but this covers a much wider area (Logan-Beaudesert)

5. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Purely assumptions on your behalf. There is no concrete fact in that at all.

Where is your source where it shows the rise? That document is only a few days old.

6. petewargent

see previous post: ABS detailed monthly.

LMIP also covers Logan-Beaudesert

Welcome to the Labour Market Information Portal.

no disputing there's been a good improvement in the last 18 months, just saying it's doubtful that the u/e rate will stay at the national average in 2nd half of 2017.

Will post the next quarterly here when it comes out.

Big Daddy likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not me;)

What about this one.... Job satisfaction chart

Australia’s happiest worker is likely an older woman, living in Tasmania some distance from Hobart and working no more than 38 hours a week in a small company with reasonable, but not excessive, pay.

Australian men work on average 40 hours each week and women 31 hours. This chart shows the fall in satisfaction as working hours increase:

[​IMG]

New2prop and mcarthur like this.
  8. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Great graph MTR! (thanks HILDA) So essentially there's little reason to move from 38/40hrs per week to 18-20hrs and expect a major increase in job satisfaction. It looks like it's only from about under 18hrs that job satisfaction goes up appreciably. I wonder what "jobs" have that number of hours!?

MTR likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No idea what jobs have these hours (18-20), probably much easier to reduce hours if you are a public servant? Job share scenario, relief teacher. Can always try to negotiate with employers but dependent on industry what you do. I guess you could always start your own business and then you set the hours?

mcarthur likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

For period to 20th August. Hot: Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Hobart. Reckon Sydney's probably heading towards "balanced" market now though with an uptick in listings, but the listings count according to these numbers is still less than Melbourne's.

Other capitals are generally better described as buyers markets, if you look at time on market. Screenshot_2017-08-25-03-27-50.png Screenshot_2017-08-25-03-27-16.png

11. New2prop

New2prop Well-Known Member

Hi @Gockie ,
    I don't understand how Sydney house median price is less than a million in the second graph.

12. Gockie

The graph is for private treaty (non auction) sales.
    The text says:
    "Private treaty sales represent around 85% of all dwelling sales across the country. The statistics are calculated across houses and units sold over the most recent four week period. Records without a valid sale price have been excluded from the analysis."

Now in Sydney, auctions tend to be the usual method of sale in the more expensive locations, whereas private treaty is used as the main method of sale in the cheaper suburbs and for cheaper properties. This is generally true in Melbourne too. (Compare that to Brisbane where you would generally be nuts to try to sell via auction).

Secondly, records without a sale price has been excluded - Imo this is a less important factor to the low house average price for private treaty sales in Sydney.

Happy if anybody wants to provide other "on the ground" thoughts. 2519 house sales over 4 weeks is around 630 sales per week. Auction volumes vary but say 500 houses go to auction in a week and 70% clear so roughly 350 houses sell at auction in a week. So the 630/(630+350) = 64% of the market, and its the cheaper portion of the market.

Last edited: 25th Aug, 2017
    New2prop likes this.
  13. New2prop

New2prop Well-Known Member

Hi Gockie, my understanding is that buyers will generally prefer to go for auction in Sydney to get best price unless they get a high offer before auction. So 880k is probably represents sales in far fetched areas (like The Ponds, Box hill, Leppington) and not in established areas of Sydney.

14. Gockie

Yes. Note that it still probably represents about 65% of the house market, though generally the cheaper section.

New2prop likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.